Keats on the Radio

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats on the Radio

Postby Malia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi everyone :)
Well, as I had Easter Monday off from work last week, I decided to get into a bit of "trouble" and call in to a nationally broadcast radio show here in the US called On Point; it is broadcast through National Public Radio. The topic of that morning's show was memorizing poetry--why people do it and which poems they memorize. I had a few pieces of Keats's in my head and I thought it would be a great opportunity to plug our favorite author. Little did I think I would actually get on the air when I called, though. But I did! Sadly, I *mangled* the Keats poem (This Living Hand)--I was so nervous, I couldn't get it out properly even though they let me try twice. I could literally sense the ground beneath me tremble as Keats turned over in his grave! LOL But the host and his guests were very gracious and we talked Keats for a few more minutes. Little did I know that all three of them are fans of Keats's! So, if you can access Real Player or Windows Media Player, here is a link to the show. I am the second caller--coming in about 10 minutes into the broadcast. I'm known as "Mary from Spokane" ;) The show itself is excellent and a great way to celebrate National Poetry Month.

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2009/ ... your-head/
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: Keats on the Radio

Postby adonais » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 pm

On reading your post I remembered a recent article in the NY Times about memorizing poetry, and as I listened to the show it turned out the same guy was on the show: Got Poetry?

I think you were great, took their comments in stride and good humor :D If it were me - deer in headlights, and all that. I suffer from chronic stage fright, I could never do anything like that in public. But they were good too, in carrying on the Keats topic. Thanks for linking.
adonais

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:51 am

Wow - Malia - I am so proud of you for sharing your thoughts on the radio program. I didn't know you did this.... I heard it today - and yes I get nervous if I have to quote Keats on the spot! Same thing happened to me in a classroom while I was attending a class with fellow teachers. But so great to hear you talk of Autumn and Keats' vocabulary as you behold a "stubble field" - same for me. I was impressed that the hosts knew Keats' lines as well. Cool. Thanks!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:11 am

Wow, I'd almost forgotten about this thread! When I saw "Keats on the Radio" in the recently posted on threads and then BrokenLyre's name next to it, I thought "Keats was on the radio recently? How could I have missed that?" Then I saw that you all were replying to my ancient post from April! :lol: :roll: I'm glad to know that the link still works, as I can't find it on the On Point archives anywhere. I, too, was impressed and a little surprised that the host and both his guests were Keats fans. And that the host, Tom Ashbrook, has a quote from Keats at his desk really made me realize just how true it is that you *never* know when you'll come across someone who's been touched by Keats's words.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:15 am

[banned member] wrote:Hi Malia. I've just come across this delightful thread - I thought you were terrific! I'm afraid had it been me I'd have probably cheated and read it :wink:
Adieu! [banned member]

I wish I had! :lol: If only to have done better justice to Keats's work. I chose that poem because it is short, but I really never had it properly memorized, so under pressure I cracked. In retrospect, I would have recited the first stanza of the Ode to a Nightingale. At one point, I had the whole poem memorized--I had read it as a dramatic recitation to my Toastmasters club a few years ago. I even played a tape of a Nightingale singing at the start of the presentation for effect. Wish we had such operatic songbirds here in Washington State. Nothing here matches the birds of Britain in song.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:23 pm

I hope I don't embarrass anyone, [including myself] by posting this little blast from the past, a collaborative recording made a few years ago between us of Ode on a Nightingale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGlu-YTJME

I think Malia, Credo, dks I think, myself and a few others each recorded a stanza or two of it. Listening to it I don't recall who recorded what.

Thought it might interest you [banned member] to hear a few more voices from the forum.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Oh wow--another blast from the past! Thanks for posting that, Saturn :) I remember when we put that together. I think I edited the stanzas on my Dad's Mac. What I love most about the project is how many different accents we hear--I think we had America, England, Northern Ireland and Australia represented. It's really an Ode to Keats from around the world.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:12 pm

[banned member] wrote: One more thing Malia: I recall you mentioned your Toastmasters club in another post - what is a Toastmasters club?

Toastmasters is a public speaking club. People get together to learn and practice the art of speech-making and also to learn about leadership. It's an International organization, with clubs all over the world. In order to get the first certificate in the program "Certified Toastmaster" you learn the basics of speech making through 10 different kinds of speeches (e.g. the persuasive speech, the informative, the entertaining--also speeches focused on practicing certain aspects of speech making such as speaking with effective body language). After you receive that first certificate, you can begin to practice other forms of speech making. I used Ode to a Nightingale to practice dramatic recitation.

[banned member] wrote: PS You were a lot braver than I could ever be!

I don't know about brave. . .crazier maybe! :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks Saturn for the link - I will check it out soon. What a great idea to have a few voices each contribute to Nightingale!
Really, a great idea. Now I just have to find another radio program that will allow me to quote some poetry. "Good luck with that" I know.... but it's fun to think about.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 am

I just heard the Nightingale version on YouTube. Thanks for the treat. It was fun to hear the various dialects. Creative stuff...yet I noticed that the video only got 9 views. Oh well. Thanks to all who pulled this off.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Malia wrote:Hi everyone :)
Well, as I had Easter Monday off from work last week, I decided to get into a bit of "trouble" and call in to a nationally broadcast radio show here in the US called On Point; it is broadcast through National Public Radio. The topic of that morning's show was memorizing poetry--why people do it and which poems they memorize. I had a few pieces of Keats's in my head and I thought it would be a great opportunity to plug our favorite author. Little did I think I would actually get on the air when I called, though. But I did! Sadly, I *mangled* the Keats poem (This Living Hand)--I was so nervous, I couldn't get it out properly even though they let me try twice. I could literally sense the ground beneath me tremble as Keats turned over in his grave! LOL But the host and his guests were very gracious and we talked Keats for a few more minutes. Little did I know that all three of them are fans of Keats's! So, if you can access Real Player or Windows Media Player, here is a link to the show. I am the second caller--coming in about 10 minutes into the broadcast. I'm known as "Mary from Spokane" ;) The show itself is excellent and a great way to celebrate National Poetry Month.

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2009/ ... your-head/

Malia- you were very brave to call in- there's no way I would if they did this on the radio here! I can only remember lines here and there from his poems- my memory is total pants. Though, when I got my copy of his letters to Fanny and read them all in one night I fell asleep and woke up with one of the letters "reading" in my head word for word!( I had read nearly all of them in another book though, so maybe the words had started to stick).
I wonder if John could recite his poems from memory?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm

[quote="[banned member]"]Very many thanks for this Saturn - a real treat. I noticed Malia there, and I think I might have caught you. At the risk of offending Raphael (forgive me there Raphael!) I think you all gave Ben Whishaw a run for his money. It is just something I don't think I could do with my not-so dulcet tones, at least not unless I had to. /quote]

They read it well. I make a right hash of the few lines I read from Isabella at the art gallery- I need to do better! :oops:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Ben Whishaw said it just right I think!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:34 pm

And the way he interprets John's love letters to Fanny- so full of feeling, gentle intensity and beauty.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Keats around the world