Is Romanticism redundant?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Is Romanticism redundant?

Postby Saturn » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:27 pm

In today's post World War, post 9/11, post AIDS post-modern, non-literary society is Romanticism still a valid and relevant ideal??

I still would class myself as a Romantic, but due to many personal and external factors I find myself increasingly dissillusioned with the search for the unattainable ideal that Romanticism involves.

Of course Romanticism is an ideal and the search for that ideal by it's very nature will be fruitless.
Some would say that the bliss eternal is in not having that which is just out-of-reach. To me that is the worst torture; of which the image of Tantalus springs to mind.

To have the one you love just out-of-reach, the job you desire beyond you, the happiness you seek just beyond your grasp is not bliss, but a torment.

Any thoughts my friends?

Is Romanticism and the eternal optimism it implies a foolish or admirable creed?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

MonroeDoctrine

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:00 am

People need to read some Heinrich Heine
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:33 pm

What in particular??
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:08 am

"When the heroes go off the stage, the clowns come on."

Yeah, Heine might be a good choice, I'll see what I can find at Borders today (have yet another coupon to cash in here :))

As to your question Stephen, I think you implied it yourself of the search for the Romantic ideal, that it is the search itself that is the manifestation of Romanticism today. And as such, I think it is very much alive, and if it means something to you then it is a relevant and noble pursuit. It is not a world movement, true; but romanticism, just like individualism, is a fundamental feeling more deeply rooted in every human being than any social or political creed that borrows its name. So as long as one person considers himself/herself a romantic, then romanticism still lives. Vive la romantique!

Or maybe this is all guff ;)
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:51 am

No, you may have a point there but being a daydreamer and an idealist isn't much help in the so-called 'real' world [whatever that is :roll: ].

I'm just saying it's very hard to remain true to your beliefs and ideals in today's world - it's very easy to become cynical and world-weary :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:43 am

Just my 2c of philosophy, but I think it's great being a daydreamer and an idealist, I absolutely love it! The danger lies in not realizing what you are....that way you're only going to get hurt. I guess anyone who wants to be a romantic these days and not chronically depressed first have to develop a tough skin. I mean, most everything sucks anyway, but at least you understand the value of beauty as something other than a hood ornament or a cereal commercial, and that's a rare gift these days.

Here's a statement I'd like to make: "The Cynic is always wrong."

Discuss.

This seems to be my day of incoherent posts....better get on with it :P
Despondence

Postby Darkling » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:13 am

Being a romantic is exactly what helps us get through these days that are increasingly becoming more "real". If we continue to strive for an ideal, whatever it may be, the better the world will be, even if it's only our little peice of the world. Also, being a romantic somewhat implies that feeling of "I'm the only one that sees all this beauty, why doesn't anybody else". The fact that this board exists is a testament to the popularity of romanticism. I know your question wasn't about the validity or popularity of romanticism but it's popularity is what makes it relevant in this world today. So to answer your question, yes, romanticism does have a place in today's world.
P.s. also, you just thinking about this makes it worthwhile and have a place in this post 9-11, AIDS, war mongering, hateful world. Kudos to you.
"Elle vous suit partout" -Byron
Darkling

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays