Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm

It looks as if we were *both* right, Raphael :) There were several types of corsets used in the Regency. The shorter corset shown in this article looks much more comfortable than the longer one--and they both seem more comfortable than what was implemented in the "tight laced"-whale-bone-impinging Victorian era. But, depending on the type of dress worn, some women didn't wear any support garments at all. (I can't imagine walking around without any support. . .but, then, I'm not an A cup :wink: )

This is a pretty interesting little article for anyone interested in what Regency women wore "underneath it all". :)

http://www.janeausten.co.uk/magazine/pa ... 325&step=4
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Bright Star up for an Oscar nomination for best costume? Really? That's great Saturn. Good to see that.

Raphael - though I know almost nothing about fashion, I certainly like the 1940's look in America for women. Cool period I think.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:32 pm

It really is too bad that Abbie Cornish was overlooked for an acting nod. Many critics agree that she was deserving to be among the nominees. It is nice to see that the costumes will be recognized, though. They truly were a feast for the eyes and a major part of the film. Plus, there are people out there who are attracted simply by period stories and beautiful costumes, so having that little snippet on the Oscar telecast might draw in a few more viewers. ;)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Malia wrote:It looks as if we were *both* right, Raphael :) There were several types of corsets used in the Regency. The shorter corset shown in this article looks much more comfortable than the longer one--and they both seem more comfortable than what was implemented in the "tight laced"-whale-bone-impinging Victorian era. But, depending on the type of dress worn, some women didn't wear any support garments at all. (I can't imagine walking around without any support. . .but, then, I'm not an A cup :wink: )

This is a pretty interesting little article for anyone interested in what Regency women wore "underneath it all". :)

http://www.janeausten.co.uk/magazine/pa ... 325&step=4

I know that site well- it's great isn't it! That's what I had in mind when I thought of the undergarments. Can you imagine in those days forgoing any kind of undergarment? How naughty that would have seemed!I wonder if Fanny Brawne sometimes wore none?
I read that fashions were changed back to corsets as these lovely loose Regency dresses were seen as immoral. Of course the light fabrics and lack of panniers, undergarments etc meant gentlemen could get their hands on ladies much easier... :wink:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Yeah, it saves time....It's all about efficiency I'm sure :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Raphael wrote:I read that fashions were changed back to corsets as these lovely loose Regency dresses were seen as immoral. Of course the light fabrics and lack of panniers, undergarments etc meant gentlemen could get their hands on ladies much easier... :wink:

Indeed, Regency dress for women allowed anyone and everyone to see more of a woman's form underneath her clothes than in eras before. I've even heard that some young women would wet down the skirts of their dresses so that they would cling more to their bodies.

And here the kids of today think that we invented sex!

It's always been my understanding that Regency corsets were more implemented to maintain posture than to create the classic hourglass figure with which we generally associate them. Of course, I suppose there's always that important factor of keeping in what is meant to be in and up what is meant to be up as well.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Indeed, Regency dress for women allowed anyone and everyone to see more of a woman's form underneath her clothes than in eras before. I've even heard that some young women would wet down the skirts of their dresses so that they would cling more to their bodies.

Not since the Iron Age of the Celts had women's clothing been so loose.The Regency was a very interesting period- it was a little surge against restraints, oppression ( of both women and "lower classes" ), liberalism etc- and yet it didn't last- it was quashed until the 20th century. It isn't true about wetting the dresses though.

And here the kids of today think that we invented sex!

Ha! They should read The Eve of St Agnes. and Blush Not So (Eve's Apple) wink:

Yeah, it saves time....It's all about efficiency I'm sure

I expect both ladies and gentleman back then appreciated this fashion. :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 pm

Back on topic...

Have none of you American folks got the Bright Star DVD yet, it's been out for two weeks, what's keeping you?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Yes, I have two copies of the DVD of Bright Star. I already saw it with my daughter who has some interest in Keats (she even memorized a bunch of his poems). She's in Michigan studying for a Nursing Degree as a Freshman. I call her my "Keats Companion" as she is the most interested in Keats than anyone else in my family. If I die, she'll inherit my Keats Library :D
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Saturn,
Here's one American who bought a copy on Amazon before it was even released! :lol: The movie really "works" on DVD--that is, you can take your time with it in the comfort of your own home. Re-watching scenes is a bonus with this movie. I get more out of it the more I watch it.

That said, I haven't had much time over the last few weeks to watch the show in its entirety. Nice to have it at the ready in case time should open up, though.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 am

I have the DVD as well! Yet, like Malia, I haven't had the time to enjoy it much. I'm hoping soon to do a live blog of it so that I can finally share my thoughts with you all!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Can anyone that does have it tell me whether there is a director's commentary, or what other special features are on the DVD?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 pm

Saturn, the extras on the DVD include a deleted scene that takes place at Keats's lodgings in Kentish Town. It provides a little more "grit" to his character, but doesn't quite fit with the ethereal picture Campion paints of him throughout most of the film. I believe the other extras are primarily interviews with Campion about various topics such as how she chose her lead actors, etc. Though I haven't yet watched them on the DVD, I think I've seen most of them online already.

The only irritating point about the DVD is that you have to FF through 4 or 5 previews before you get to the main page every time you start the DVD, which takes about a minute to do. I can't figure out how to avoid them.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am

Did you try doing a chapter forward rather than fast forward through the previews, Malia? That's getting to be a rather common thing on DVDs, annoyingly, but that's the best solution I've found that works on most of them.

It does seem that the DVD is pretty light on special features. It's unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Hmm that's what I thought. Being a film and DVD geek I had hoped for an audio commentary, but that sounds okay, maybe there'll be a Blu Ray with more features but in the meantime I just want to see the film.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR