What you do to soothe your disturbed mind?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:32 pm

I go for long walks. Being out in nature, away from other people, obligations, the general noise of existence gives me a whole new perspective on life. My worries seem nothing to forests, streams, hills, and the general miraculousness of the world :)

I also have a nice collection of music (both to listen to and play myself) that is guaranteed to lift my spirits. Sometimes I combine the two by bringing my music with me on my walks :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:40 pm

There's nothing like a walk with some great music in your ears :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

The Best Thing To DO...

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:16 am

If you're serious about wanting to end your depression; you should do something historic. Fight for justice! Fight to change the rules of the game; for that is what makes life worth living:

www.wlym.com !
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:23 am

You obviously know little about depression - it's a losing battle just to get through each day never mind stand up to the lions of injustice :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby K34T5 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:23 pm

I would offer some advice but I kinda need some advice on the subject my self. :D
K34T5

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:56 pm

Talking to friends I find is the best cure :)
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:37 am

Yes, talking is important. . . that and doing things that you love. Combining the two is even better :)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby fleshyniteshade » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:51 pm

I always tell my friends that every tear is worth the sorrow it falls to... however pathetic the reason may be. When I am depressed or sad, I view it as a sense of testimony. Like with love,

When I am in love, the more I love them the stronger the testimony I have from the goodness in which I feel from them...

and when I loose whoever I love, the more it hurts me the more I actually loved them in my psychology...so then I just like to look at it as a...stronger testimony I have of them for now since I have lost them and I didn't realize how much I value them until I lost them...well doesn't that just mean I love them more NOW than I have ever realized?

I agree, I find the best thing to do is seek support from friends, they always will. But at the same time try to cure the pain; get what you need in your life (if at all possible). There is no shame EVER in honesty. Your loves one will always add the center stone to whatever structure in your life...is aloof.

I always try to make myself a better perso when I am sad. The better the person I am, the more support I may get from friends. I try to do something really special and nice for the saddest person I know (outside of myself) when I am. Curing other's pains is lovely for one's depression.
"aye, my envious dreams do shyly express thy tenderous lips fairly laced with sensous honey and I like aroused virgins dwell upon such dining"
fleshyniteshade

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:39 am

As Keats himself wrote, "Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school and intelligence and make it a soul?" :)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:01 am

Credo Buffa wrote:As Keats himself wrote, "Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school and intelligence and make it a soul?" :)

Amen - one of my favourite Keats' quotes, and so true :)
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:27 pm

Mine as well :) Definitely good words to live by.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby soumya » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:30 pm

"What is a friend? One soul in two bodies."
--Aristotle
Soumya Bhattacharya
India
www.freewebs.com/bhattacharya
soumya

A Friend tells you the truth

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:17 pm

"A Friend tells you the truth; like, you're sorrows are pathetic get over it," (Me).
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:11 pm

Wow, that's profound - that'll really help someone :roll: :roll: :roll:

One of the "Pull yourself together" brigade...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:27 pm

Stephen Saturn wrote:Wow, that's profound - that'll really help someone :roll: :roll: :roll:

One of the "Pull yourself together" brigade...

Yeah, when you're talking about clinical depression, that tack usually doesn't work very well, as clinical depression is a physical illness (a chemical imbalance) that can require medication to help it.

For folks like me, however, who are just feeling sorry for ourselves :lol: then talking it out or helping others (i.e. getting outside the self-pity) helps a lot.

I often wonder how hard it was for Keats. Given what is stated in biographies about him and in his letters, themselves, he suffered off and on from what he called "blue devils" but what appear to be bouts of real, clinical depression. I don't remember seeing anywhere in his letters (or even in bios) just how he lifts himself out of these moods (or if he even could do it, by force of will alone)--but that they just seem to come upon him and then lift on their own on and off throughout his life.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays