'The Libertine' movie.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:40 pm

I went to see 'The Libertine' at the weekend.

A mesmerising performance by Johnny Depp as ever but it made me think he could have made an excellent Byron with right script it could have been as close as we would get to seeing the conflicts of that very complicated man.

Watching his Rochester was moving - the film itself is the tragedy of a man who tricked the world and himself into beliveing that he loved life when he really despised himself and his life and he paid dearly for his actions.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:47 am

Sounds good, I missed that one, have to look it up.. John Malkovich is in it too? How was his performance? Recognize the girl (Samantha) from Minority Report.... :)

Speaking of Byron, there was talk on the forum some (long) time ago about a BBC production on Byron's life....I've been looking out for this one but I don't even know what I'm looking for! Could someone give me the complete reference, name of the movie, etc? It sounded interesting, would love to see it, if I can find it.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:15 pm

Malkovich is indeed in it - he's his usual dastardly and evil self.

Samantha Morton is always good but this is one of her best performances.

Well the Byron BBC production was good, but could have been better with a less 'literary' script, a more realistic one.

However its well well worth a look if even for those fabled BBC prodction values and to get the feel of the era.

A lot was left out of it and Jonny Lee Miller was good but doesn't quite have the charm AND malevolence that someone like Johnny Depp could have given it [I think he WAS linked to a Byron film at one time but it fell through :(

I have the DVD - here's some info:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 57-6433269

That's the Region 2 version - since you're in the US now try the American Amazon site unless you have a region-free player.

EDIT : just checked the American version - doesn't seem to have been released over there yet :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:20 am

Yeah, no hope for that, I'll order the UK version. The way I've been moving back and forth between the US and Europe, by now half of my dvd collection is in region 1 and the other half in region 2. Needless to say, I de-regionified my dvd players long ago...(of all the stupid stunts they make up to control the market, this one takes second place).

I didn't find any place still showing the Libertine....guess I'll have to wait for the DVD release in a month or so.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed May 10, 2006 12:42 am

The Libertine is now out on DVD Despondence [if you still read this board :( ]
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous