Thrilled to find this site.

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Thrilled to find this site.

Postby Montmorenci » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 am

I am so thrilled to have found this site and these boards! I have been swept away by John Keats and now this movie Bright Star.
John Keats, his story, this movie has opened up my eyes and my heart to this whole other world, one in which I have only dabbled in the past. Since putting in the time to really read and research I feel like I am opening up a treasure box! I would love to just sit in a room with like-minded people going over his works and letters and getting different people's perspectives, this forum will do just the same though. I am sure I will spend hours reading through past conversations that you all have had in the past several months and years. Thank you for putting the time into this site, I wish I had found it long ago! :)
Last edited by Montmorenci on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Montmorenci

Re: New to Poetry and John Keats

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 am

Hello! I recommend that you read his letters to his friends- they are so interesting and you will get to know more about him that way. :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi melj. I'm relatively new to this site as well, though I've loved Keats for years. I got into him through his poetry first, but it really doesn't matter where you start - the interest and fascination takes you from one thing to another. In a way I envy you as you are just starting the adventure of getting to know Keats - I remember the excitement of coming across magnificent lines of poetry or phrases in his letters for the first time. You are in good company here - I'm really enjoying the time I spend on the boards and it is like a cyber version of like-minded friends getting together over tea and cakes to talk about their shared interest. Sit down, pour yourself a virtual cuppa and help yourself to a cyber cream slice. :)
Maureen

Postby Montmorenci » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Thank you both! This is an exciting journey indeed. I have read all of his letters to Fanny and a few to his friends and his siblings, but I intend to keep reading until I have read them all. My heart is still so saddened at how quickly his candle went out. I look forward to the day when I can go visit the Keats house/museum and then head back to Rome. I was unaware of Keats during my first trip to Rome.
Montmorenci

Postby Saturn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Welcome to the forum melj, I hope you enjoy learning more about Keats and poetry, you truly are going to discover a whole new world of thought and feeling.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi Melj and welcome! :) I've been studying Keats for 20 years (since I discovered a book of his letters and poems in my mom's bookshelf when I was 15) and I never tire of him! Keats's story and his poetry are truly magical.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Malia wrote:I never tire of him! Keats's story and his poetry are truly magical.

Aye to that! His poetry and letters are ever new! And yes, he is truly magical as you say!
Melj you might like the novel Passion by Jude Morgan- it brings him and Fanny to life in a very evocative way.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Montmorenci » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 am

Thank you, Malia and Raphael! I will definitely look into the book, Passion. Thanks for the recommendation!
Montmorenci

Re: Thrilled to find this site.

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:05 pm

There is a thread for Passion so perhaps when you've read it you could post your view of it. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Montmorenci » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Great! I'll refrain from going over there until I have indeed read it. Thanks! :D
Montmorenci

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Of course, a novel is speculative, but the author has tried to paint a picture based on the events. of course their first meetings we don't know much about and this is where novels come in handy- they paint in a picture. I found he had done a good job of their first few conversations- Fanny tries to get John to play the game but he won't ! :lol:

And his character and personal appearance are so beautifully described and feel authentic.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby harvest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm

another book to buy lol ~
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:12 pm

harvest wrote:another book to buy lol ~

Oh yes- there are many! I also quite liked Bright Star (1968) by Joan Rees.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Keats9264 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 am

Hi, I'm happy to find this site too. I have loved Keats since I was 18, though Shakespeare preceded him by about 4 years! I memorized When I Have Fears first, though I think Ode to a Nightingale may be my favorite now. I can't even remember how I found him now. It wasn't thru school, I know that. When I was in college, I was lucky enuf to visit his house while studying theater in England. One evening I took the tube to the end of the line and walked all over Hampstead trying to find it! (Huffing and puffing up and down those hills!) I was the only there, had no camera, only a tape recorder. The person minding the house, an old man, was very scarce and I think I only saw him twice! So I walked all over by myself for a long time then sat on the bench in the front yard. If you believe in ghosts, I'm sorry to tell you that I accidentally left my tape recorder on in the main dining/living area for an hour - and there wasn't a noise on it! LOL
Keats9264

Postby Keats9264 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:42 am

As a caveat, I had the same fortune at Trinity Church in Stratford. I was too late and they were closing. So I offered the elderly gent locking up a Pound to let me in (I was young and foolish - I figured those things worked on TV), saying I would probably never make it to England again. Which I probably won't. He took pity on me and let me in through the kitchen! So there I was all alone in this church, finding my way through to Shakespeare's grave, and standing silently in tribute! Had a time finding my way out I'll tell you!
Keats9264

Next

Return to BRIGHT STAR