Deleted scenes from Bright Star

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Deleted scenes from Bright Star

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:19 am

Has anyone seen the deleted scene where John and Fanny go to his lodgings before he goes to Italy? Ben plays him very intensely here. I thought he was brilliant.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Deleted scenes from Bright Star

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:31 am

I did and it was interesting. More of this in the right place in the film would have been great for the character.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:41 am

BrokenLyre wrote:I did and it was interesting. More of this in the right place in the film would have been great for the character.

I wish it had been left in as he got a bit intense when he was collapsed outside Fanny's house and he said "You don't love me"

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:23 am

Yes, I agree. Keats needed to have some more intensity to him, like what was represented in that deleted scene. Ben Whishaw thought so, too (or so he said in several interviews). But the way the story was written, it would have been "out of place" for him to show too much jealousy or heated emotion. It's a shame, as it would have given his character some more complexity. I thought he was just a tad too ethereal--and even a little "dull" at times.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:45 am

Yes, I agree. Keats needed to have some more intensity to him, like what was represented in that deleted scene. Ben Whishaw thought so, too (or so he said in several interviews).

Did he? I haven't seen/read those interviews- if you have any links that would be great. Ben was so good at the intensity- he was really quite a different John Keats in that scene and the one where he is collapsed outside Wentworth Place. But at the same time I found I could feel as sympathetic for him as he played it so that you could see how his illness was affecting him.

But the way the story was written, it would have been "out of place" for him to show too much jealousy or heated emotion.

I think I know what you mean- there wasn't much showed of Fanny's "flirting" or going to dances to warrant it.

It's a shame, as it would have given his character some more complexity. I thought he was just a tad too ethereal--and even a little "dull" at times.

I didn't find him dull but certainly etheral at times- but then the real John Keats did seem to have that quality too- he was as you say a complex man and that makes him so fascinating.
Maybe Jane Campion decided not to show his intensity too much ( and some of the jealous feelings etc) because it might have shown him a bad light at times and it would have made the film very long if the reasons for this could be fully explored so the audience could understand him and not judge him - and indeed Fanny for some of her behaviour.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:47 am

I think I might qualify for computer geekdom as I have managed to post from my IP- but for how long...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Fanny » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:55 am

Through my readings, I have learnt that many scholars dislike Fanny. Indeed they think Fanny didn't deserve Keats. They don't see why he was crazy about her. And you see, after watching this scene, I tend to agree. In this scene especially, I have the feeling that she wasn't in love as much as he was.
Fanny

Postby Raphael » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:06 pm

I think that was more down to the view of Mr Brown who was jealous of his friend's affection for a vivacious young woman and he feared she might distract John from writing poetry.
Have you read Fanny's letters to Miss Keats? After reading them you can clearly see how much she loved John Keats.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Fanny » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 am

I have to read them you're right
Fanny

Postby Raphael » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 am

You will surely like them- in parts they are deeply moving.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby GreenLarry » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:51 pm

depth, ethereal, ... such posters pretending more scenes will add to Jane's art? Non sense. Bright Star is a beautiful screenplay not a biography. The setting is all about the rooms & walk abouts of Fanny & Keats, not character studies.... Campion captures Keats intensity early as Brown sent a joke valentine. I'd be very interested in viewing deleted scenes but the film is a finished work of tempo not exerpts from a larger volume. ... the soundtrack & vocal orchestra are all about transporting the viewers ears to a time without telegrams or phonographs & the name tuberculosis .... 843-926-1750 Larry Carter Center ready to discover my MS Brawne should she be ready to discover me[color=#008000][size=150][/size][/color]
GreenLarry

Postby Ennis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Raphael wrote:Has anyone seen the deleted scene where John and Fanny go to his lodgings before he goes to Italy? Ben plays him very intensely here. I thought he was brilliant.

Thought you all would like to know that (I believe) there's a second deleted scene that we aren't "blessed" with on the USA version of the dvd. If I'm not mistaken, it's from the scene when Fanny receives the first letter from Keats. She's wearing the flower-sprigged (?) dress, pays the messenger, and takes the letter upstairs to her room to read in private. It appears the Brawnes had company. I remember seeing a still quite a while ago (before the film was released) that showed Fanny apparently giving young ladies an embroidery lesson (would make sense since [oh, that's b-a-d!] earlier in the film she informs Keats and Brown that her (to paraphrase) "stitching has more merit than both their scribblings put together, and I can make money from it."
Anyway, back to that second deleted scene, I've searched "high-and-low" on the Internet for that scene and have had no luck. I know I didn't imagine it, and if any of you who are more computer savvy than me wouldn't mind helping me to find it, I'd be eternally grateful.

RIP to George Keats and Fanny Brawne who both passed on in December. And thank you, Fanny, for truly loving your Mr. Keats.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:56 am

No, no embroidery scene on the British DVD either Ennis.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 am

Raphael wrote:No, no embroidery scene on the British DVD either Ennis.

Well, (pardon in advance) damn!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby glenndench » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 am

glenndench

Return to BRIGHT STAR