London

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

London

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:53 am

i've just read (and then re-read-its really good) Andrew Motions' biography of Keats and i found it fascinating reading because so much of my local area is mentioned like hampstead heath etc
much of my family hail from Enfield, i went ice skating as a kid in edmonton, and hanover square (where his parents married) i used to and still do go to a nightclub called hanover grand! i also used to go past the victoria and albert museum every day on the train to work. i now live in the harold hill area of east london where king harold(you know, the one with the squint :D ) lived but i now definitely plan to go to central and north london again with new eyes.
its just strange how ordinary places have now taken on new meanings for me since my interest in keats, i mean i knew he had a lot of history in london, i just didnt expect it to be in inner city areas like edmonton. If you saw edmonton these days you would wonder how keats managed! :shock:
have any of you guys been on a keats pilgrimage of some sort to england(or italy for that matter)?
Simon

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:18 am

Just a few months ago I took my first trip to London since developing my interest in Keats, and I tried to see as many places associated with him as I could: the former Swan and Hoop Inn (now a really great pub named for its most famous resident), the Keats House in Hampstead, Well Walk and the Vale of Heath (all lovely, still with the feeling of a small, quiet town rather than part of a big city), the Spaniards Inn, and the British Museum with the Parthenon frieze. I was also SO CLOSE to getting to see Ben Nevis, but we'd have been late getting our car back to the rental place :(

And I will get my pictures up! I promise! They're just really disorganized right now amid the thousands of others I have from my time abroad.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:20 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:And I will get my pictures up! I promise! They're just really disorganized right now amid the thousands of others I have from my time abroad.

I hope you do! I have 10 year old pictures of Keats House. . .I'd love to see how they've rennovated it since then as when I went in 1995, the place seemed to be falling apart.

I've been trying to find a way to post some of my pictures (now that I've figured out how to scan them into the computer)--but I've been hitting some roadblocks. . .like not having a paid account at livejournal :cry: Oh, well! :wink:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: London

Postby Saturn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:55 pm

Simon wrote:have any of you guys been on a keats pilgrimage of some sort to england(or italy for that matter)?

See the In The Footsteps of Keats thread in the Life and Letters Section for other pilgramages and the Voyage to Italy thread also for pictures of The Keats-Shelley House in Rome.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays