the best Ben Whishaw on Keats yet!

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

the best Ben Whishaw on Keats yet!

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:47 am

I found this wonderful interview of Ben in which he goes in depth into how much portraying our dear poet and learning about him meant to him.

Here are some of the best bits:

"What I feel about him is that he was a rare human being, and he was a very good person,” Whishaw continues, with a manner so soft-spoken that one can easily see why Campion chose him for this role. “He had a kind of nobility about him, a nobility of spirit and of generosity. Jane talks about him almost as if he were an angel, a divine being. I think he was very human as well, but he had some kind of quality of divinity. I’d like the audience to be aware of this capacity he had to channel something higher than himself. When you look at the manuscripts of the poems, like Ode To A Nightingale, people who studied the handwriting say that he was not writing laboriously. He was writing at high speed, almost as if he were possessed, and his channel to whatever it is, inspiration or whatever, was very clear. That’s something I hope comes across.”

“The thing about the letters is that he was just so human and experienced every kind of emotion very intensely. He had jealousy and a capacity to lose his temper and be furious, he could be very funny, sort of bawdy. Some of these things are not elements that the film goes into, but they were exciting to discover just because I don’t think that’s the image that’s been handed down to us of him. I spoke with a poet when I was preparing, and this poet said that there’s no way that Keats could possibly have been this kind of delicate, sickly person lying about all the time. To produce that amount of work, he must have been furiously alive and active and full of vitality. He produced so much and he was dead by the age of 25. When you remember that fact, it’s truly astonishing.”

"Everybody says they enjoyed working on whatver project they’re discussing, but when Whishaw says it, you believe it. “I was really excited to tell this love story. I’d not really done a love story – this is a very tragic, very sad love story, but the love is reciprocated and it’s passionate and intense. I was really kind of curious about that. It was just a joy. I absolutely loved it. It’s the happiest experience I’ve had of work. I really, really grieved for it afterwards.”

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2009/the-m ... -romantic/
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: the best Ben Whishaw on Keats yet!

Postby steffen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for this resumé, Rafael. Very interesting. Curious, isn't it, how John Keats fascinates so many of those who enter into his world. I haven't been able to see the film as it didn't come to the cinemas here. I hope to see it someday on video.
steffen

Re: the best Ben Whishaw on Keats yet!

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:53 pm

steffen wrote:Thanks for this resumé, Rafael. Very interesting. Curious, isn't it, how John Keats fascinates so many of those who enter into his world. I haven't been able to see the film as it didn't come to the cinemas here. I hope to see it someday on video.

I am glad you liked it steffen. Well, considering how magical he was- it doesn't suprise me how he capativates people's attention! :D
The film is on DVD, which you can get from Amazon by the way.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to BRIGHT STAR