Recording Keats Poems and Letters

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:39 am

Did you try to open it with media player? That doesn't seem to work. However, if you go to the sendme file website and right click the file and "save to disk" then open it with another audio player (my computer opened it with something called musicmatch jukebox) that might help. This can be done using the right click option. This is assuming that you're using a PC. I don't know if the files would open were I to try and open them on my Mac at home.
Good luck--I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. Truly, if I can do it--anyone can! LOL
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:55 am

You could try realplayer too.

I didn't realise this would be so much bother :?

Sorry guys but this is the only way I know how to do this. If anyone knows a better method please tell us.
Last edited by Saturn on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:20 am

You should ask Thilo if he has some space left right here on john-keats.com! That would be cool :)

Otherwise, if somebody else had a chunk of web hosting to donate...
I guess I have that, in a manner of speaking, though I'm not sure how to administer it in a neutral fashion since it's currently part of my home page and the pile of junk that I keep there. But if there is interest in the future, and a lot of recordings stream in, then I could offer to store them online (to a limit - I don't have gigabytes ;))
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:53 pm

I doubt we'll have recordings streaming in :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:35 am

Aha. . . opened them in iTunes and all is well.

Good readings, Stephen! Your voice is very pleasant to listen to :) and you have a really great handle on the phrasing so that it sounds very natural.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:47 am

Stephen Saturn wrote:I doubt we'll have recordings streaming in :roll:

Oh tush....Saturn the Cynic I sould start calling you :P
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:18 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Aha. . . opened them in iTunes and all is well.

Good readings, Stephen! Your voice is very pleasant to listen to :) and you have a really great handle on the phrasing so that it sounds very natural.

Thanks but that's my posh voice - I'm not usually that comprehensible :lol:

I was thinking of reading them in an English accent so it would sound mroe like Keats - is that a silly idea??

Anyway, I've got a few more recorded and will post them soon.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Aha. . . opened them in iTunes and all is well.

How exactly do you open them on iTunes? I tried to open these files on my mac over the weekend--but to no avail. :(

I'm going to talk with a Toastmasters friend tonight who is a mac whiz and see what I can do to get a recording device up on my computer--I'd love to add to the collection of audio files we have here.

Credo Buffa, are you going to record a few poems?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:39 pm

Here's some new ones:

On Seeing the Elgin Marbles
http://www.sendmefile.com/00222187

Endymion Bk I, 1-24.
http://www.sendmefile.com/00222189

'When I have fears that I may cease to be'
http://www.sendmefile.com/00222190
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:19 am

Malia wrote:How exactly do you open them on iTunes? I tried to open these files on my mac over the weekend--but to no avail. :(

I right-clicked on the file and selected iTunes from the "open with" list. Pretty easy :) Hopefully it works for you!

Malia wrote:Credo Buffa, are you going to record a few poems?

Eventually, yes. I just have to get over the feeling of absolutely hating the sound of my own voice!

Anyway, I figure I'd share this anyway, since it's a sort of "reading", or rather an "interpretation" ;) I wrote my first major piece based on "Ode to a Nightingale" and had it performed on my senior recital last spring. It's a pretty naive composition, really, and I'd love to rework it someday to reflect both the knowledge I've acquired about writing music and my more complete understanding of the poem itself! As it is, however, it's still a very special piece to me, so I'd like to share it with you all!

I uploaded it to YouSendIt, mainly because I don't want it hanging around online for anyone to see forever, so if it either goes over the download limit or expires before anyone who might want to hear it can get to it, let me know and I'll re-upload it.

"Darkling I Listen" (2003)
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DS0YNBT6MUMN33L39XLX8LKZR

I'm playing flute on this [marginally well] by the way ;)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Credo Buffa--I have tried to download your file, but it is HUGE. I really would love to listen to the piece, though, as I am sure others would also. Is there a way to compress it or chop it down somehow?

Also, I tried to open Stephen's files with iTunes as you suggested but again, to no avail. My mac can't identify what kind of file it is. SOMEDAY, I swear I'll be able to figure all this out!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:59 pm

uh. . . I might be able to convert it to wma if I can find the original recording. . . I'll do my best!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:32 am

I knew it was possible! I FINALLY figured out how to record and create mp3 files on my mac--AND listen to the files posted here. The computer gods must have been smiling down on me.

Stephen, great readings once again!

I'm planning on getting a few pieces up within the next few days. . .the only hurdle now is uploading them to a file share program. I hope more people are interested in doing some readings--it doesn't matter how "good" you are at it--it's all for fun and to share that poetic spirit, ya know! :D
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Malia wrote: I hope more people are interested in doing some readings--it doesn't matter how "good" you are at it--it's all for fun and to share that poetic spirit, ya know! :D

Yeah come on people it isn't hard. I could happily record all of Keats poems for you but I would like to hear different interpretations.

I simply recorded them off the cuff so to speak, rehearsed them once then just recorded straight away so it sounded natural.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

To Sleep

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:06 am

OK, here's my first attempt at uploading an mp3 file. Hope you all can open it! If you can open it and listen to the file, I'll upload a few more as I have several recordings of various poems and letters done.

I'll have to warn you ahead of time, I don't have a cool accent like Stephen! But, I tried my best :wink:

To Sleep: http://85.117.136.8/00232432
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’