2 Questions about John (due today)

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

2 Questions about John (due today)

Postby Miranda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 pm

How dose Mr. Keats fit into the ideals (zeitgeist) of the romantic era?

and

How has Mr. Keats influenced our society/ culture/ ideals of today?

Its for a college paper
Thanks a ton
Miranda

Re: 2 Questions about John (due today)

Postby Raphael » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Miranda wrote:How dose Mr. Keats fit into the ideals (zeitgeist) of the romantic era?

and

How has Mr. Keats influenced our society/ culture/ ideals of today?

Its for a college paper
Thanks a ton

Well, it might have been better if you had asked us earlier as this is probably too late for you now sorry. They are big questions and I cannot answer them in full. But- how he fits into the ideals of the Romantic era- have you read his love letters and his poems such as Endymion ( which discusses ideals of human love versus immortal love)? You would also need to compare his poems to those of Shelley and Byron ( which I confess I am not that familiar with). Bright Star is a good example of his love poetry.

The second one- you ought to look at how he inspired the Pre Raphaelite artists- they painted some of his poems.It was they who brought him to the fore as he was largely unknown til then. He was also liked by Oscar Wilde. I don't know if he influences people in a big way today- as poetry isn't that popular outside university settings sadly.You might want to read Jane Campion's response to his poetry- she sees him as " a portal into the human heart." His philosphies such as Negative Capability are timeless and relevant to today. I think he was very much of his time, yet brought something timeless into th world- love, spirituality, questioning the nature of the soul etc.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Miranda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Actually you are just in time!!!!! THANKS A TON!!!!!!
it has to be handed in at 5:30 :D

Forever in debt
Miranda!
Miranda

Postby Miranda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 pm

I read the book "Keats and Shelley".... I also found Negative Compatibility very interesting (theres just not much about it around).... I also thought his Metaphor "Mansion of Many Apartments" was interesting.
Miranda

Postby Raphael » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Miranda wrote:I read the book "Keats and Shelley".... I also found Negative Compatibility very interesting (theres just not much about it around).... I also thought his Metaphor "Mansion of Many Apartments" was interesting.

Oh indeed- it is amazing! Listen to this lecture if there's still time- it is brilliant:

http://www.rc.umd.edu/blog_rc/?p=181

I'm in England- I don't know what time it is where you are. Best of luck with your essay- and I hope you will come back and join in our Keatsian discussions!

If you look around the board there are some threads about Negative Capability with some article links.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Help and Homework