To touch such hidden treasures
Are more worth
Than can be expressed,
For the riches of the unknown
Are in Spirit, and beauty, and truth.
Doors become windows,
And windows enter into dreams,
And dreams become reality.
Heavenly sent, great wealth to a mortal.
The happiest of happies,
Untouchable dove;
Wallowing in the rivers of love.
Immortal souls in sweet, sweet bliss;
Bathed in love and tenderness.
Ode on a Grecian Urn
Brought tears to my eyes,
But was The Eve of St. Agnes
That made me cry.
The beauty of Truth
Is the only true beauty.
To say no more,
Is my duty.

(C) Elf-faery aka Joyful Noiz Ministries
Writ in water, santified in blood
elf-faery

Postby JulyMoonrise » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:12 am

My favorite poem by Keats is no doubt "Ode to a Nightingale." My favorite line "Darkling I listen," was just a snippet I caught sight of one day. I scoured the internet looking for the rest of the poem. Since then, Keats has become my favorite poet. The way he flies from emotion to emotion really identifies with me, and my own poetry.
JulyMoonrise

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:43 am

Seems "When I have fears" is quite popular here among Keats' readers. Well, so is it with me. It is the most hearfelt sonnet I have ever touched upon, especially the couplet.

The three quantrains lament the futility and sadness at the mercy of motality while the couplet is the immortality John Keats had finally achieved. He found his eternity in his thought and his art when all the worldly concerns and burdens troubling him faded into insignificance (to nothingness do sink), leaving him to his solitary contemplation. It was a self-sufficient state that could last forever. To me this sonnet is more of modernism than of romanticism.

When I was back in my university I had this infatuation with John Keats when his Ode to Melancholy stroke me with the beauty of the English language for the first time.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:34 pm

The last verse of the Ode to a Nightingale:

Forlorn! the very word is like a bell
To toll me back from thee to my sole self!
Adieu! the fancy cannot cheat so well
As she is famed to do, deceiving elf.
Adieu! adieu! thy plaintive anthem fades
Past the near meadows, over the still stream,
Up the hill-side; and now 'tis buried deep
In the next valley-glades:
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?
Fled is that music:--do I wake or sleep?

This verse defies attempts of analysis. One could deconstruct it, of course, but because the sum is so much greater than the parts such a course of action would be meaningless. The proper stance toward it is reverence. The rhyme and meter are so musical (as is of course appropriate and relevant to theme) and complex, and yet read naturally as to 'make it look easy'. The poet bids the bird 'Adieu!', and as he writes the word hears in it the very song of the bird--'Adieu! adieu! thy plaintive anthem fades [...]'

Of course the preceding verses are breath-taking as well, along with all the other odes, and all the rest of Keats!

Postby TheLadyWithoutMercy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:35 am

I was just recently introduced to John Keats because of my recent addiction to the art of John William Waterhouse, who painted La Belle Dame Sans Merci, inspired by John Keats (as we all know). This is probably why La Belle Dame Sans Merci is my favorite poem... hence my username. I find it to be an amusing poem. I know it's sad, but at the same time, her cruelty is just funny. I'll admit I haven't read a lot of his poetry, having just been introduced to it last week, but it is so amazing. I rarely find poets I like this much.
TheLadyWithoutMercy

To nothingness do sink

Postby Hazel » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:54 am

I'm new to this board and can't help recognising some of the sentiments expressed about 'Ode to a nightingale' and 'When I have fears' although I have to admit I haven't read 'Ode to a Grecian Urn'.

I always equated the last two lines of 'When I have fears' to the feeling you get when you think about something too much and it seems to lose value, it seems pointless, the same way that a word sounds odd if you say it too often. When I think about the larger questions in life (Like "Why are we here" etc.) if I think on it for too long I end up going full circle in my argument. I think Keats is describing how as he is challenged by the shocking realisation of the mortality of life he questions everything. If you do this long enough then it all seems worhtless.

P.S Does anyone think that the change in our own language since the time in which Keats was writing has changed our views of his?
Hazel

Favorite

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:25 am

I have to say that my favorite Keats poem is by far Ode <<Bards of passion and of mirth>> I don't exactly know why but right when i read it i had an extreme liking for it

Postby Anonymous Iggy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:20 pm

It's a tie.

1. "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" -- the poem that got me into Keats; I connect very much with it *nod to sig*
2. "The Eve of St. Agnes" -- I've loved it since I first read it; the most powerful of his, to me
3. "When I Have Fears" -- I hate to join the bandwagon, but it's a good bandwagon; another powerful one, for me
4. "The Devon Maid" -- it's a good, light-hearted poem; fun, really
La Belle Dame Sans Merci hath me in thrall!
Anonymous Iggy

personal ones

Postby kara » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:27 pm

I have to say that most of my favourite Keats poems are those simple ones that are addressed to or written with his family in mind. One of my favourites is "To My Brothers". It's so simple, and yet I feel that it encapsulates alot of the emotion and sentiment that compelled Keats to write alot of the greater and broader works that he did. "To My Brother George" is another one of my favourites.
kara

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays