Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Of course I took it home! -- along with some most interesting terra cotta pottery shards and several "fossilized" snaily(?)-looking things. It's all in a jar in a decorated shadow box on my shrine wall. I also have some bark from the mulberry tree in the front yard of the Keats House, as well as some dirt from underneath the tree. Of course, our famous plum tree is no longer there, but at least the mulberry tree is original to the house -- which means the Dear One may actually have touched that tree at some point during his brief stay at Brown's home. And believed me, I touched as much of that tree as possible.

I'm feeling quite excited now Ennis! As a Druid I adore trees and the fact there's an old Mulberry that lovely John touched ( of course he did- he LOVED trees- and it's delicious berries were probably those made into jellies and jams he wrote that Mrs Brawne gave him)- I long to see meet this tree. When I do, I shall ask it for a piece of its bark or a twig for my Druid altar! It will be a revered addition to the altar I can tell you!! Have you ever eaten a Mulberry? The berries are even more delicious than strawberries.

I'm sure anyone who happened to have seen me do all this must have thought I had lost my mind (again, maybe I have; maybe I don't care!!). The bark and the dirt from the house is also contained in (an archival quality) shadowbox.

A box of delights! :D

Last summer when I was walking around the gardens of the house (it hadn't repoened yet from the renovations work, so I couldn't GO INSIDE!!), I sat on a bench in the front yard, not far from that mulberry tree, and looking down to read from my volume of Keats's poetry, I spied several china shards stacked neatly on the grass next to a leg of the bench. They appeared to be very old and of some type of a blue willow-ware design. I wondered then, and still wonder today, if maybe they were unearthed during the landscape renovations and inadvertently left there.

That is a Victorian design if my memory serves me right- one popular with the Aesthetic art movement.

Needless to say, I added those shards to my collection, as well. My next "art" project is to incorporate those china fragments and flowers from the Heath I have sinced pressed, along with some other appropriate trinkets, into a shadowbox in Fanny's honour.

That is a great little collection!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Talking of soil and obsessions and confessions... I too have a confession to make....

I have collected Oceanic Beach sand from 66 countries of the world for a total of 202 samples. Yes,they are all in bottles, scientifically cataloged, and displayed with a world map and pins on each location. ....19 years of collecting and counting...

Gosh you beat the student I knew there Broken Lyre- he had about twenty jars I think!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Ah, Raphael:

a fellow Pagan . . . need I say more?
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Ennis wrote:Ah, Raphael:

a fellow Pagan . . . need I say more?

I take it I say Merry Meet? :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Raphael,

You got it! And blessed be, to you . . .
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Ennis wrote:Raphael,

You got it! And blessed be, to you . . .

Well Met!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Oh my -- all this saving of soil and shards and things -- I thought I was the only one who did this. On my home altar I have tiny bottles with soil from places dear to my heart, water from both the Atlantic and Pacific (and smaller, less famous bodies of water) and small stones from beloved mountains and hiking trails.

My husband has questioned my sanity -- but it looks like I'm not alone.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Cybele --

You certainly aren't alone!!
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Pjerrot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Not sure if this entirely ties in but I have started to grow plants that have mythological and literary significance (I haven't traveled enough nor do I have the space to keep a collection of jars, etc.). Keats's Ode on Melancholy prompted me to find some monkshood that I now have growing. That said, I'm quite lucky to be enjoying my existence after that venture.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Not sure if this entirely ties in but I have started to grow plants that have mythological and literary significance (I haven't traveled enough nor do I have the space to keep a collection of jars, etc.). Keats's Ode on Melancholy prompted me to find some monkshood that I now have growing.

That sounds interesting!

That said, I'm quite lucky to be enjoying my existence after that venture.

Oh? Have you an interesting tale to tell us Pjerrot...I am intrigued now!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Oh? Have you an interesting tale to tell us Pjerrot...I am intrigued now!

I knew from some reading that ingesting monkshood was poisonous but it was only after I had planted it bare-handed I read that even the sap, absorbed through the skin, can be fatal.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 pm

I knew from some reading that ingesting monkshood was poisonous but it was only after I had planted it bare-handed I read that even the sap, absorbed through the skin, can be fatal.

I had a hunch it was poisonous! Was going to look in my plant books to see! The plant must like you Pjerrot lol

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:38 pm

The plant must like you Pjerrot lol

I hope. :lol:
Pjerrot

Previous

Return to BRIGHT STAR