The Frosty Hours

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The Frosty Hours

Postby titian dj » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:03 pm

The Frosty Hours

My little house is wrapped in snow;
the evergreens are frosted, so
I'll leave a tray of cake and bread
to complement the winter show.

A robin chatters overhead,
he sees me place this ample spread
then flutters down to take his share
and proudly flaunt his patch of red.

By nine a.m. the tray is bare,
I note an odour in the air
then catch the spattered gable end;
an urban fox has tarried there.

I worry for my tiny friend,
remove the tray and then suspend
a net of fruit and buttered neeps
to see if I can make amends.

The evening drifts are crisp and deep,
the bird returns and seems to keep
a vigil when I turn to sleep,
for we have promises to keep.
titian dj

Re: The Frosty Hours

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:43 am

This poem reminds me of Frost's poems - especially Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. If this in intentional - well done. I couldn't do it. :) Pleasure reading.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby titian dj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks, Broken

Sorry about the tardy response. Yes, it was an intentional tribute to Frost, with his interlocking rhyme scheme and all.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Best,

Bri
titian dj

Postby dks » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 am

Yes...nice nod to Frost...almost a bit more Romantic in imagery--the beautiful, ordinariness of the tarrying bird...and your innate connection with the natural elements...clever, alluding title...

...nice, indeed...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby titian dj » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks, dk, for your encouraging words. very pleased you enjoyed this wee nod to Frost; he's one of my favourites.
It's quite a tricky form to work with but more than rewarding.

All the best,

Bri
titian dj

Postby steffen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 pm

How much I enjoyed this deeply felt poem of yours. It creates a place, time and atmosphere with such grace and subtlety, with such an admirable contruction of rhyme and rythm that the reader never gets lost. He feels secure as he reads on, knowing that he's in the hands of an artist and craftsman. The three of you, yourself, the robin and the fox create a gripping drama of promises kept, sustenance and survival, and suddenly all hinges on the appearance of the fox, the predator, instinctively marking his territory to claim everything it holds, including the robin. But faithful to the promise you made, he can roost out of danger's way, high up on that branch, dreaming of tomorrow's net of fruit and buttered neebs, knowing in his little robin brain that he has found safe-haven.

There's no soft, fluffy romanticism here which many of us hopelessly inept versifiers get caught up in. As a teacher, I "confess" that I required my students to memorize certain poems of Frost. Many told me later that it left an indelible imprint on their minds. One fellow told me in so many words that it made him a more insightful person. He also said, jokingly, that if he were ever kidnapped -this part of Spain is ETA territory- he would have something beautiful and useful to fill his mind with during his time in captivity. If I had read this poem then I would have put it on the list.

Thank you for this exceptional piece of writing. I'll be reading it over and over again and, I admit, humbly envious of your skill and artistry.
Last edited by steffen on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
steffen

Postby titian dj » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello Steffen,

I really hope you get to read this reply because I thought this one had slipped off the first page AND I've had all sorts of trouble with my internet connection.

Frost is one of my favourite poets and I've always admired his interlocking rhyme scheme.
Your review is very much appreciated. I love the way you've read this piece because you've absolutely nailed the central premise, and I have to admit that I'm touched by your comments.

It's good to know that you're inspiring your students. My hat's off to you.

Thank you for a wonderfull visit.

Kindest regards,

Bri

steffen wrote:How much I enjoyed this deeply felt poem of yours. It creates a place, time and atmosphere with such grace and subtlety, with such an admirable contruction of rhyme and rythm that the reader never gets lost. He feels secure as he reads on, knowing that he's in the hands of an artist and craftsman. The three of you, yourself, the robin and the fox create a gripping drama of promises kept, sustenance and survival , but all suddenly hinging on the appearance of a fox, the predator, instinctively marking his territory to claim everything it holds, including the robin. And faithful to the promise you made, he can roost out of danger's way, high up on that branch, dreaming of tomorrow's buttered neebs, knowing in his little robin brain that he has found safe-haven.

There's no soft, fluffy romanticism here which so many of us hopelessly inept romantics get caught up in. As a teacher, I "confess" that I required my students to memorize certain poems of Frost. Many told me later that it left an indelible imprint on their minds. One fellow told me in so many words that it made him a more insightful person. He also said, jokingly, that if he were ever kidnapped -this part of Spain is ETA territory- he would have something beautiful and useful to fill his mind with during his time in captivity. If I had read this poem then I would have put it on the list.

Thank you for this exceptional piece of writing. I'll be reading it over and over again and, I admit, envious of your skill and artistry.
titian dj

Postby steffen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello Titian,
Thank you for your kind reply. The truth is that when I first read The Frosty Hours I felt a certain kinship with that adopted robin friend of yours "flashing his patch of red", savouring in his dreams that "net of fruit and buttered neebs" he knew would be waiting for him the next morning

To those casual readers browsing these pages, I would advise them to read The Frosty Hours with the attention that it truly merits because, to paraphrase a famous definition of poetry, it is breath itself. Its speech is breath. This poem relates to our thoughts and emotions to such an extent that, like breath, it actually fills our bodies, creating an emotional-physical impact which could be said to represent the very centering of poetry.

Best wishes,
Jim
steffen

Postby titian dj » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Thank you, Jim, thank you very much indeed. I feel quite humbled by your reply and feel an urge to respond quickly, before my internet connection crashes again. Sky seem to be having a few problems. Anyway, I can't thank you enough for your encouragement.

All the best,

Bri

steffen wrote:Hello Titian,
Thank you for your kind reply. The truth is that when I first read The Frosty Hours I felt a certain kinship with that adopted robin friend of yours "flashing his patch of red", savouring in his dreams that "net of fruit and buttered neebs" he knew would be waiting for him the next morning

To those casual readers browsing these pages, I would advise them to read The Frosty Hours with the attention that it truly merits because, to paraphrase a famous definition of poetry, it is breath itself. Its speech is breath. This poem relates to our thoughts and emotions to such an extent that, like breath, it actually fills our bodies, creating an emotional-physical impact which could be said to represent the very centering of poetry.

Best wishes,
Jim
titian dj

Postby steffen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Merry Christmas, Titian,
It seemed to me appropriate to give "The Frosty Hours" the attention it so much deserves, especially tonight -the night before Christmas, "the darkest evening of the year". Thank you again for this unforgettable poem, a precious tribute to Frost, but all your own.
steffen

Postby titian dj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 am

Hi Jim,

I hope the festive season found you in good spirits. I've been here there and everywhere. My mother used to say ''It's hard work enjoying yourself '' :) Well, I'm back home now; the tree is packed and tucked and sanity seems to be returning to the whole town.

''the darkest evening of the year'' :) Thanks again for your kind words.

Happy new year, Jim.

Best

Bri

steffen wrote:Merry Christmas, Titian,
It seemed to me appropriate to give "The Frosty Hours" the attention it so much deserves, especially tonight -the night before Christmas, "the darkest evening of the year". Thank you again for this unforgettable poem, a precious tribute to Frost, but all your own.
titian dj

Postby steffen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 am

Titian--
A robin dropped by my garden a few days ago and perched shivering in the beech tree. I thought of your wonderful poem,The Frosty Hours, and put out some cake and bread crumbs. No foxes around here though.
Two years ago I sent you a message like this to wish you a happy holiday. This year it comes a bit late, but here in Spain, Christmas gifts are exchanged on the Feast of the Three Kings.
Actually though, it's a good excuse to call attention to this poem of yours which never fails to fascinate. Keep writing.
Have a happy, blessed 2013.
Jim
steffen

Postby titian dj » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks Jim,

Sorry about the tardy response. It was great to read about your robin friend and I was tickled pink
that you mentioned The Frosty Hours. I recently hung out a bird feeder to help the hungry birds
survive the cold snap that Winter has seen fit to throw at us.

All the best, Jim

Bri

steffen wrote:Titian--
A robin dropped by my garden a few days ago and perched shivering in the beech tree. I thought of your wonderful poem,The Frosty Hours, and put out some cake and bread crumbs. No foxes around here though.
Two years ago I sent you a message like this to wish you a happy holiday. This year it comes a bit late, but here in Spain, Christmas gifts are exchanged on the Feast of the Three Kings.
Actually though, it's a good excuse to call attention to this poem of yours which never fails to fascinate. Keep writing.
Have a happy, blessed 2013.
Jim
titian dj

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’