Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Ben Whishaw

Postby Raphael » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 pm

I have started a thread to discuss anything re Ben!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Raphael » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Ben is an extraordinary actor isn't he? I like his interviews - he is so thoughtful and quite deep. Have a look on this forum for some of his interviews- in one he says how playing John Keats changed his life and he missed this when the filming finished.

I agree! I didn't think he would make a good Keats. I'd seen him in a couple other movies, thought he did a good job -- but Keats? How could he possibly play Keats? (Even given that "willing suspension of disbelief" thing that supposedly takes place in drama.) But he didn't "play" Keats. In a very real way (to me, anyway) he became Keats. I totally accepted him as our guy.

Yup. The only word to describe his performance is "extraordinary."

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 pm

I hadn't seen Ben in anything before so I didn't know what he'd be like- I saw a you tube clip before I saw the film at the cinema- it was the Valentine card scene and in it he showed some passion, vulnerability and the mention of the holiness of the heart's affections and I was impressed. I had not at that point read the letter in which John wrote about the holiness of the heart's affections, yet right away I knew it was something he had written or said- Ben played it that authentically.
For some reason, Jane Campion hadn't let Ben play our poet with his full intensity so we only got a few scenes of this- the Valentine one, the one where he collapses outside Wentworth Place and he says "I thought my heart was breaking" and the deleted scene in which he and Fanny go to see the rooms Hunt got him.Ben was excellent at the intense scenes- I would have liked more of them. Instead we got Fanny being intense- which from reading her letters and reading between the lines of our poet's letters to her, she didn't seem to be.
If I pretended to myself that our poet resembled Ben in looks then he did almost become him for me.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Concerning Whishaw: watch "Criminal Justice." It apparently was a British miniseries, recently done. Based on the Imdb, Ben completed it immediately before "Bright Star." This kid (young man, actually, just turned 30 last OCTOBER) can act! In "CJ" he portrays every emotion imaginable.

CJ was harrowing- I found some it hard to watch, well a lot of it actually- Ben is so convincing and his character was also called Ben so it was as though one was watching Ben himself in prison and being abused.

I had never heard of him until I read that he has been cast to play Keats. "Perfume - the Story of a Murderer" was the film that all the on-line articles mentioned, so as soon as it was released on dvd, I ran out and bought -- and loved it! It's a V*E*R*Y bizarre story, and Ben does not play a "nice" guy, but what impressed me the most about his performance was two things: 1. He played his character, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, with such INTENSITY that I knew right off he could play Our Boy, and 2. Even though he played a murderer, he portrayed him in such a way that I (you) actually felt pity for him. As the dissolute aristocrat, Sebastien Flyte, in "Brideshead Revisited" he was also remarkable -- very vulnerable (as was Jean-Baptiste, now that I think about it) and loveable. When Sebastien is sick and in the hospital in Morrocco (sp?), I was confident then that he could "nail" Our Golden Boy.

Ben is one of the best actors I've ever seen- in fact he is being touted by some as going to be the next Olivier. Jane Campion has described him as having a vulnerable, magical quality- this is why she chose him.

It doesn't matter to me that Ben's hair is not auburn (although HOW do we actually know what colour Keats's hair was!? I've read "contemporary" accounts that range from golden brown to brown to auburn; same with his eyes [different colours, of course. Duh!] The lock of hair I saw at The House on a 1990 trip to London really looked more brown than anything else. But i suppose time, light, etc. had taken some toll. . . ).

Hair colour fades on locks of hair over time. Amy Lowell described his hair as a "glorious" russet colour.In the portraits it's also an auburn shade- I doubt they all would have painted it this colour if it wasn't this colour in reality. There are various acounts of his hair colour from golden brown to auburn and I think the reason for that is-lighting and what one eye calls aubrun is another's golden brown.And of cours in the summer hair colour can change in the sun. People were in agreement over his hazel eyes tho!
The photo of the lock of his hair on the Keats House website shows it to be auburn.
Last edited by Raphael on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Poor Saturn -- trying to herd us cats! :lol: (Sorry about that, Saturn!)

Yes, "Perfume" was certainly an oddish movie. A friend recommended it to me. (She is is big Whishaw fan.) When she described it to me, I remarked that this sounded like a "positively creepifying movie." (I'm not, generally speaking, a big fan of such flicks.) She reassured me saying, "Oh! It certainly is, but it's *artistically* creepifying." IMO, a very good movie, but not one I'm likely to watch again.

I accidentally added the "Brideshead Revisited" movie to our Netflix queue instead of the miniseries. I didn't think the movie would be very good, since Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews were to me the definitive Charles and Sebastian. But happily, there were things in the movie version that I thought added much to the story. (For example, the painting of the martyred St. Sebastian was a nice touch that I don't remember having seen in the miniseries version.)

Yes, more passion, more temper, more wit and humor (and sometimes even wonderful silliness!) would have been nice to see in "Bright Star," but this was *Fanny's* story and it made sense for the movie to simply give the audience little peeks at that passion and humor. Those other facets of JK's personality will have to wait for the next movie. :|
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Malia » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 pm

I have seen Criminal Justice and I agree with Ennis--Ben was fabulous in it. Extremely intense mini-series that, in its own right (besides Ben's performance) is excellent. Every character has depth and their own complex "reasons" for acting as they do. Ben won a BAFTA for his performance. He did say, though, that the job put an intense strain on him emotionally--it took him a while to get over it.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:43 am

Malia wrote:I have seen Criminal Justice and I agree with Ennis--Ben was fabulous in it. Extremely intense mini-series that, in its own right (besides Ben's performance) is excellent. Every character has depth and their own complex "reasons" for acting as they do. Ben won a BAFTA for his performance. He did say, though, that the job put an intense strain on him emotionally--it took him a while to get over it.

I just looked it up and saw part 1- a very intense sex scene and Ben is naked!!! :oops:

I can see why it affected him- standing naked in front of brutal prison officers...I don't believe he assaulted the girl- she was pretty wild! She wanted him wildly! I don't believe he killed her either...but I haven't seen it all yet...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 am

Well, I've seen what's on you tube- there's not the whole thing (as that was 5 hours) but it has been condensed into clips. Have you seen it all Malia? How did they get him out- the last bit had so much missing- what did the CCTV camera mean? And who killed the girl?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Raphael (et. al. who may be interested in this next little tid-bit) ---

Ben naked: rent the dvd "Stoned." It's about the early years of the Rolling Stones, when Brian Jones (?? not sure if that was his last name) was the Big Guy, before MJagger came to the forefront of the band. Anyway, Ben plays a young Keith Richards and there's one scene where our Whishaw(/Keats?) is full-frontal naked!!. Nothing on but an opened dressing gown. . . !

I'd tell you who killed the girl in "CJ," but some folks may not appreciate me ruining the ending for them . . . !
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Ben naked: rent the dvd "Stoned." It's about the early years of the Rolling Stones, when Brian Jones (?? not sure if that was his last name) was the Big Guy, before MJagger came to the forefront of the band. Anyway, Ben plays a young Keith Richards and there's one scene where our Whishaw(/Keats?) is full-frontal naked!!. Nothing on but an opened dressing gown. . . !

I have heard about that yes- Ben is either very brave or he has something to be proud of... :wink:

I'd tell you who killed the girl in "CJ," but some folks may not appreciate me ruining the ending for them . . . !

Oh Ennis PM me it, I'm dying to know!! And also tell how they knew Ben was innocent and how they got him freed- there were loads missing in the yout tube uploads.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Ennis wrote:Raphael (et. al. who may be interested in this next little tid-bit) ---

Yes, Ennis--he is full-frontal in "Stoned"! I tried to watch the entire movie, but I got depressed pretty quickly by the main character's downward slide. . .and I'm not a huge Stones fan anyway, so I didn't feel connected to it much. Not enough scenes of Ben in the movie for my taste, either ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:52 am

Yes, Ennis--he is full-frontal in "Stoned"! I tried to watch the entire movie, but I got depressed pretty quickly by the main character's downward slide. . .and I'm not a huge Stones fan anyway, so I didn't feel connected to it much. Not enough scenes of Ben in the movie for my taste, either ;)

Well after you had seen Ben full frontal I suppose the rest of the movie wouldn't be so interesting ... :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Jupiter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Oh dear... I need to say something to add to the Ben-mania going on in here :D

If I were to sum him up in one word, that word would be... beautiful. His is a dainty, delicate, ethereal yet manly and seductive sort of beauty, the kind that makes girls of any age swoon with delight :lol: Especially those deep, entrancing blue eyes, wouldn't you just want to stare into them ad infinitum? And yet, it's not just the physical beauty; he's a lot more than just a pretty face. His artistic talent is remarkable (and I say that after only seeing him in two films). Other users have expressed their displeasure with the fact that he wasn't allowed to perform in Bright Star at his full intensity. I am of the same opinion, he could have been much better if this had been a movie about Keats and not Fanny, he does have potential for that.

I remember seeing Perfume. Rarely does any film nail me to the couch, barely breathing for fear I might miss a detail, a scene in it. This one did, and it was mostly because of Ben's performance - he was otherworldly in that film, he appeared to have fallen down to earth from some higher sphere, bewildered by all that was going on around him. It takes a lot of spirit to make a character one could actually sympathize with out of a cold-blooded murderer. He did, he played his character with such an innocence and sensitivity that you couldn't tell whether he was a criminal or a victim.

I intend to see Brideshead Revisited, I'm Not Thereand Criminal Justice at some time in the near future. I think I might skip the Stoned one (I am not at all fond of the Rolling Stones), but the full frontal scene got me interested so who know? :wink: He also has a part in the upcoming adaptation of Shakespeare's play The Tempest, so I'll be looking forward to that as well.

Speaking of plays, here's what I came across a few days ago, while randomly surfing the web:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/no ... ton-review

This dates back to December 2009, so it's probably no longer in theaters, but I would have liked to see it.

More recently he was in this one as well

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/priyanka- ... 73865.html

He seems to be getting quite a few gay roles :? There is a scene where he kisses another man in this last one. Not that I'm shocked or anything
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:36 am

Oh dear... I need to say something to add to the Ben-mania going on in here
If I were to sum him up in one word, that word would be... beautiful. His is a dainty, delicate, ethereal yet manly and seductive sort of beauty, the kind that makes girls of any age swoon with delight :lol: Especially those deep, entrancing blue eyes, wouldn't you just want to stare into them ad infinitum?

You are not alone Jupiter- Ben has become quite a heart throb judging by what I've seen on the web! I'm not sure what colour his eyes are- they seem to look different colours in diferent photos- blue, green grey..just adds to his mystery I suppose!

And yet, it's not just the physical beauty; he's a lot more than just a pretty face. His artistic talent is remarkable (and I say that after only seeing him in two films).

He really is quite an extraordinary talent.

Other users have expressed their displeasure with the fact that he wasn't allowed to perform in Bright Star at his full intensity. I am of the same opinion, he could have been much better if this had been a movie about Keats and not Fanny, he does have potential for that.

Yes, we might have got to see more intensity if the film was from his viewpoint, but Jane wanted to tell it from Fanny's- I suppose because we know less about her.

I remember seeing Perfume. Rarely does any film nail me to the couch, barely breathing for fear I might miss a detail, a scene in it. This one did, and it was mostly because of Ben's performance - he was otherworldly in that film, he appeared to have fallen down to earth from some higher sphere, bewildered by all that was going on around him. It takes a lot of spirit to make a character one could actually sympathize with out of a cold-blooded murderer. He did, he played his character with such an innocence and sensitivity that you couldn't tell whether he was a criminal or a victim.

I've seen clips on you tube- here's hoping someone uploads the whole film!

I intend to see Brideshead Revisited, I'm Not Thereand Criminal Justice at some time in the near future.

I'd love to see Brideshead, seen some of Criminal Justice, not that bothered about the Stones one- not into that kind of music.

I think I might skip the Stoned one (I am not at all fond of the Rolling Stones), but the full frontal scene got me interested so who know? :wink:

You saucy minx... :lol:

He also has a part in the upcoming adaptation of Shakespeare's play The Tempest, so I'll be looking forward to that as well

I will for sure be going to see that!

He seems to be getting quite a few gay roles :? There is a scene where he kisses another man in this last one. Not that I'm shocked or anything

Yes, two gay roles recently I think. He was interviewed in a gay mag not so long ago and now some people say he's "out." :roll:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:52 am

Yes, two gay roles recently I think. He was interviewed in a gay mag not so long ago and now some people say he's "out."

It seems to me the general public delights in reaching for conclusions to affirm its wild suspicions. Mr. Whishaw stated something along the lines of not wanting to be labelled after his characters he portrays, whether homosexual or not. The worlds of theatre and cinema are -- in my opinion -- making it easier for the public to accept LGBT people by getting straight people to play such roles. And while the fascination at the present time perhaps lies with the gay characters actually being overtly "gay," the symbolism has so much more depth than that. Homosexuality appearing in movies, theatre, and art in general seems to represent the vulnerable, down-and-out, and fate-stricken sort of feeling that is universal to us all as human beings: a feeling that Ben is quite talented at portraying on screen (I can't speak personally of his stage ability). I applaud his efforts in tackling such roles and at such an age as his.

I hope that didn't come off as too raving, but I thought I should offer my opinion. I apologize in advance if I have in any way offended anyone.

He also has a part in the upcoming adaptation of Shakespeare's play The Tempest, so I'll be looking forward to that as well.

Hopefully it will be shown close by to where I live. I'm very interested to see the switch from Prospero to Prospera.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Next

Return to Miscellaneous