Keats and children

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats and children

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 pm

Just interested to know whether any kids you have or know like/are interested in poetry or keats.
also does anyone feel that any of his poetry isnt relevant or not suitable of pre teens in particular?
to get the ball rolling my 5 year old little girl loves 'song about myself' and 'two or three posies'. they make her laugh.
She also sometimes like me to read her 'to autumn' at bedtime.
She asks for 'the story of the river and the trees please'.
She obviously doesnt understand most of it but i think she must find the imagery soothing.
Simon

Re: Keats and children

Postby Despondence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 am

Simon wrote:to get the ball rolling my 5 year old little girl loves 'song about myself' and 'two or three posies'. they make her laugh.

Mee too! :lol:
Err, no kids here tho, can't really speak on the subject..
Despondence

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:44 am

I think there's a soon-to-be-released children's illustrated version of "Song About Myself", actually. It's due out the end of this year, according to Amazon :) A perfect way to get kids into poetry!

I'm very tempted to get a copy so that when I eventually have my own children, they'll get a good, healthy dose of Keats early on!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:21 am

Ah, that's nice - I'll get one for myself :D
Would love to see a graphic novel on the Scotch tour, made into a burlesque with a bit o' cockney slapstick thrown in for good measure.. Alas, very small market for that sort of thing, I'm afraid!
Despondence

Postby korenbloem » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:19 am

When she was 12 my daughter surprised me with a most wonderful surprise birth day present.she had completely thought up herself.
Knowing my love for Keats she had learned the whole Ode to Autumn by heart and recited it for me.
This ended up also the beginning of her own love for Keats and many other great poets.
korenbloem

Postby dks » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:12 am

korenbloem wrote:When she was 12 my daughter surprised me with a most wonderful surprise birth day present.she had completely thought up herself.
Knowing my love for Keats she had learned the whole Ode to Autumn by heart and recited it for me.
This ended up also the beginning of her own love for Keats and many other great poets.

Nice to meet you, by the way, korenbloem. What a great gift! I'll start dropping hints now, as my oldest son will be turning 13 this next summer... :shock: :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:03 am

You can learn a lot from kids eh?

Thanks to our two daughters I really got poetry. I think we started with a Childs Treasury of Verse, and over the years worked through all the obvious writers who pile rhyme and meter high. The benefits are enormous, and felt on so many levels.

richard
Richard

Postby wallflower » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:36 pm

i love song to myself :D i used to take a literature class when i was 13 ( having never heard of keats) and i used to love its rhythm..

when i was young my father used to tell me tales of Greek gods - i think thats where i got a certain love for Hellenistic and Classical-inspired works of art.. so thats idea for parents who want to introduce a general idea of keats :)

also, when i have kids of my own i plan to tell them all about the belle dame sans merci as a bedtime story
wallflower

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:47 am

If you read "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" to your young kids someday, it might just scare them! :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays