Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Random Keats Sightings

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 am

What'sthe film?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 am

What's the film?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 pm

It's a dark drama/romance called Remember Me--not the greatest movie, (I give it 2-1.5 to 3 stars out of 5) but it has an interesting premise and a twist at the end. The one thing that I really cringed at is the fact that Pierce Brosnan--who plays the main character's father--tries to throw himself into his role by adopting a frankly hideous New York City accent. I applaud him for the attempt, but--well, it would have been better had he just been from Britain ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Jupiter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Malia wrote:It's a dark drama/romance called Remember Me--not the greatest movie, (I give it 2-1.5 to 3 stars out of 5) but it has an interesting premise and a twist at the end. The one thing that I really cringed at is the fact that Pierce Brosnan--who plays the main character's father--tries to throw himself into his role by adopting a frankly hideous New York City accent. I applaud him for the attempt, but--well, it would have been better had he just been from Britain ;)

Oh dear, that's the one with Robert Pattinson, right? Well I'd much rather deprive myself of the pleasure of watching films for the rest of my life than ever watch anything with him in it again. This might sound far-fetched, but after seeing Twilight and his lame attempt at portraying Salvador Dali in Little Ashes, I'm pretty sure that the man can't act his way out of a paper bag and I think the only reason why he still gets parts is that 13 year-old fangirls think he's 'hot' (and that's just because he got the lead in Twilight). I cringe at the thought that he'll get to play the main character in Bel Ami, I can already see him wreck it, and I really hope he'll soon realize that acting is not for him and start doing whatever the heck he is good at.

Rant over, and sorry for going off topic.

P.S. Am I being mean?
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Oh Jupiter! :lol:
Let the lad have his day, I suppose it is more fun for him than working in a supermarket.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Yes, Jupiter. Tell us how you really feel! :lol:
Seriously speaking, I thought he was pretty solid in this film. I will admit, the 13-year old in me doesn't find him very hard on the eyes. That aside--I doubt he'll win any academy awards, but he's a solid actor. I've certainly seen much worse.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:27 am

I might have to rent the movie out now.... I saw Pierce Brosnan in the movie "Mama Mia" and singing is not his strong suit to be polite. But he likes a challenge I suppose.

Sorry I haven't been around here for a few months - work has me wrapped up most of the time (70 hours a week). I miss the site and reading the latest. Nice stained glass window Cybele (btw). Trying to catch up but life has overwhelmed me as I am looking for another job soon.

I appreciate this lovely bright spot in my life these days.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

70 hours a week!!! Blimey Broken Lyre- that's a lot of hours. I wish you well in your search for a new job.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Wow, BrokenLyre--I suspected you were busy with life but I had no idea! I hope you are able to take some "breather" time to be with your family and have a little fun. (I'm your typical Libra--balance in all things is paramount!) Good luck in your job search--I'm the praying sort of person, so I'll keep you in my prayers, if that is OK with you :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Jupiter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 pm

70 hours a week, that's more than a lot! I work about half the time, sometimes more, sometimes less, and I still think it a drag! But I guess I'm just not made for work... I say take care, too much work can damage your health, no joking! Try to find some free time now and then, remember there's more to life than toil (well, that unless you actually enjoy what you are doing.
Jupiter

Postby chris » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm

not so much a sighting, but the lyrics to the smiths' 'cemetry gates': keats and yeats are on your side/ but wilde is on mine"

if we are taking sides, im with keats and yeats.
"ive been on the shelf too long" ('A Northern Soul' by the Verve)
chris

Postby Jupiter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 pm

chris wrote:not so much a sighting, but the lyrics to the smiths' 'cemetry gates': keats and yeats are on your side/ but wilde is on mine"

if we are taking sides, im with keats and yeats.

I've already mentioned that earlier. But I'm glad to see someone else who has noticed it (I'm a total Smiths fanatic, and that's one of their most brilliant songs!).

I'd rather not take sides.
Jupiter

Postby chris » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:07 pm

yeah, i thought it may have been brought up earlier. it is one of the more popular keats references out there. im still backing keats. lol

love the smiths as well. as much as i love morrissey, johnny marr was always my favourite member of the band. the sounds he made with his guitar. magic.
"ive been on the shelf too long" ('A Northern Soul' by the Verve)
chris

Postby Jupiter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:31 am

True, his guitar playing was unique. I tried listening to Morrissey's solo works but it's not the same without Marr's enthralling jangling and his magic songwriting. I listened to some of Marr's post-Smiths collaborations, most were decent, but none near the level he had reached with the Smiths. Together they made up one of the greatest creative teams in the history of modern music - and that's a fact!

P.S. I'm backing Keats as well, but otoh I'm quite fond of Wilde!
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:14 pm

You mean Oscar Wilde?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world