Thrilled to find this site.

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Thrilled to find this site.

Postby Raphael » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Yes, I know about the volcanoes and the lack of summers. But that is not unusual over here- rainy cold summers are the norm- a hot dry one is actually unusual. And the weather here has always been unchangeable- I have set out in the morning many a sunny warm day for it to get cold later on rain and get soaked.They didn't have the waterproof coats back then so poor John probably got soaked a lot- we know he got caught on the coaches a lot. This wouldn't have helped him.
But the point I was trying to make earlier is- that stress can weaken the immune system, so his stresses wouldn't have been helping and may have weakened his immune system.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Keats9264 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 am

yes, I know it's been proven stress can weaken the immune system. And he was, obviously, stressed I guess. But he was also producing lots of endorphins. So wouldn't that have counteracted it? ;)
Keats9264

Postby Pjerrot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 am

Keats9264 wrote:yes, I know it's been proven stress can weaken the immune system. And he was, obviously, stressed I guess. But he was also producing lots of endorphins. So wouldn't that have counteracted it? ;)

I'm not entirely sure about the properties of endorphins, but I believe they would have only given Keats a "high" as it were. And I believe anyone who has a creative soul is often stressed (aside from usual stressors, i.e. his relationship with Fanny, caring for his brother); some handle and channel it better than others.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Keats9264 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:43 am

yeah, endorphins are good for you and help you heal etc. Produced when you laugh or are joyous. And just a reminder to anyone who is sick or caring for anyone sick - it's true - laughter is the best medicine - science finally proved it! And pleasant thoughts....so go and make somebody happy!
Keats9264

Postby Raphael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:18 pm

My throat has been too sore to laugh the past 2 days... :(
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to BRIGHT STAR