John's estate and family

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: John's estate and family

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Cybele wrote:Spam? Boo hiss.
No more Keats that we know of for sure.

I'm not saying the person was for sure spam, but I have a feeling she was. What makes me come to that conclusion are two things:

* you would think someone who is really and truly a descendant of the John Keats line would be more interested in him and be on here and want to share discussions about him and George.That person has only been on once.

* there is a woman on you tube who claimed the same- to be a descendent of the Keats family - I saw the comments on one of the poetry recitals on you tube and the responses to this person were not positive- someone seemed to know the woman well and made comments about her making nasty comments to people on you tube. There was no proof she was who she claims she was. So it seems co-incindental that two women claim to be a descendent but don't back it up- I think it is the same spammer.

Ah..if only John and Fanny had had children...
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Keats9264 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 am

Well there may be no more "Keats" by name, but woman still passes the lineage!! :wink:

I've got my ancestors traced to the 1600's. I couldn't imagine there are people sitting around not knowing they were related to John Keats in only 1821! But then again I am always amazed to see those genealogy commercials where the guy says something like "I found my grandfather!" who was probably born about 1950! Whoo-ee! That musta been HARD! :lol:

And then again some people just don't care. But I would think there would have been some sort of verbal stories passed down, even to the most apathetic! I remember my grandfather mentioned *in passing* once about his grandfather had a brother who was a friend of Lincoln's and his daughter was in the booth with Lincoln when he was shot. That was Clara Harris and Senator Ira Harris and it's all in the genealogy book we finally got from him! He didn't mention it until he was about 85! Nor had he ever cared to give us the genealogy book until we asked for it after that! Grandpa was born in 1887 and I knew him well.
Keats9264

Postby JKeates » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 am

I'm new to this site and am trying to find more research on my family.

My grandfather used to sit me down when I was young and tell me the stories his grandfather used to tell him. One was about us being related to John Keats. We were told we were related through I think, George Keats. I never asked much more than why our last name was spelled differently and my grandfather said it was because when the Keats migrated to the US during the turn of the century, the immigration in the US felt it best to change any and everyones last name to what the US felt was easy for the US to understand and read. I wish I would've asked more questions.

We were told John Keats is our great great great uncle.

Does anyone have anymore info on Keats family tree?
JKeates

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 am

I will send you my info on George, sometime next week. Too much work right now going on.
If John Keats (poet) were your uncle, he would be at least your great, great, great, great, great uncle (assuming 25 years between generations and that you are 50 years old today). That's just an assumption, but it works as a pretty accurate mathematical model for generations I think. At any rate I'll look into it.

I also sent you a PM today. Please check it out.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby JKTurner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 pm

Hate to revive an old thread like this but, I found this forum while doing some geni research for my family. To try and fill in some gaps, from what I have in family documents the Keats name from this branch of the tree(John Keats) has died off, however there are many descendants of the siblings of John Keats. I myself would be John Keats 5th great nephew his brother George Keats is my 5th great grandfather. My particular branch of this tree had George's daughter marry Alfred Gwathmey, they had a son George Keats Gwathmey, whom in turn fathered a daughter named Kathryn Ellen Gwathmey, who had a daughter Kathryn Keats Dorney, her decendents are still alive so I will leave their names out for privacy. Current family name is Turner. As for distant relatives there are many with many different family names, as for beneficiaries of the Keats works, I do not have a clue as to who that is.
JKTurner

Postby Cybele » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:15 pm

Hello, JKTurner --
No worries about posting to an old thread! This forum could use a little waking up.

I don't know if you're aware of the George Keats biography published about four years ago by Lawrence Crutcher. There's a short blurb on the back flap of the dust cover that says Crutcher is a great-great-great grandson of George's. There's also a Crutcher family monument (with a depiction of the Sosibios Vase!) right next to the Speed family grave plot in the Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, KY. As you probably know, George and Georgiana's graves were moved to the Speed family plot a number of years after their deaths.
Mr. Crutcher would be a distant cousin to you.

The Gwathmey family is mentioned in the Crutcher book.

Denise Gigante also published a book in 2011, "The Keats Brothers." She did a lot of her research at the Filson Club, also in Louisville.

I went to Louisville in 2010 in search of George's grave. BrokenLyre (who also participates in this forum) gave me the very helpful hint of getting a map from the security guard at the gate of the cemetery. (If I recall correctly, The Keats family graves are in section "O.")The Cave Hill Cemetery is absolutely beautiful, and is a walk-through history lesson. It, alone, would be worth a trip to Louisville.

I also stopped at the Filson Club and read Naomi Kirk's senior thesis on George Keats. (If you're interested in doing this allot a whole day to your pursuit! :) )
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Previous

Return to Life and Letters