Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Random Keats Sightings

Postby Jupiter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Of course!
Jupiter

Postby Ennis » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:21 am

Malia wrote:I came across Keats in a completely random way while watching a Netflix movie this weekend. The main character's middle name is Keats. The character is from a rich family but is kind of "slumming it" in the movie and his girlfriend, when she learns what his middle name is after reading his driver's license, thinks it is hillarious because having a name like "Keats" sounds almost ridiculously pretentious.

Hi, Malia!

You know, years ago when I was pregnant with my now 27 year old son I actually came very, very close to naming him "Keats," but I changed my mind because I figured people would think me crazy. So. I toyed with the idea of it as his middle name: Hunter Keats. After thinking on that idea for months, I was still concerned what people would think, so I finally settled on Hunter John. I figured I could explain my way out of that (if necessary) by telling folks Hunter's middle name is in honour of his uncle (my brother), whose name is also John. I look back on my foolish thinking now and regret having changed my mind to begin with. I am, after all, one who doesn't really much care what those unenlightened folks think about my harmless obsession. The really bizarre thing is that my husband was actually cool with the name!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Keats9264 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:12 am

Oh this is fun. I know a Keats reference from a Rod Stewart song - Every Picture Tells a Story - the album that introduced Maggie May, and his best I think. "I couldn't quote you no Dickens, Shelley or Keats, cuz it's all been said before..."

for what it's worth.

;) I haven't read everything here, so if it's a repeat, I apologize.
Keats9264

Postby Ennis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:28 am

In the old film, "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," the ghost of the sea-captain quotes from "Ode to a Nightingale":

"The same that oft-times hath
Charmed magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn."
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Keats9264 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:17 am

which version is that? The first one from 1947 or the one from the 60's? I'm a cinephile and now must watch it again!
Keats9264

Postby Cybele » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:33 am

BrokenLyre wrote:I
Sorry I haven't been around here for a few months - work has me wrapped up most of the time (70 hours a week). I miss the site and reading the latest. Nice stained glass window Cybele (btw). Trying to catch up but life has overwhelmed me as I am looking for another job soon.

I appreciate this lovely bright spot in my life these days.

Wow, Broken Lyre, a schedule like that doesn't give you much time for non-work life. (Assuming you need to sleep and eat, etc.)

I took a picture of that stained-glass windows several years ago, but at the time I had a simple point-and-shoot, so I'm very grateful to my friend. He's a wonderful photographer. The room is currently in use as a dining hall -- a fact that really amuses me since it's far more grand a space than the utilitarian cafeterias I "dined" in as a university student. :)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:50 am

Keats9264 wrote:which version is that? The first one from 1947 or the one from the 60's? I'm a cinephile and now must watch it again!

Keats9264-

I believe its the '47 one. My brother was the one who was watching it and caught the Keats quote/reference; seems like he said it was a black-and-white film. He mentioned the lead actress's name, but I don't remember who. I'm sure, though, that I'd recognize her name if I read or heard it.
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 pm

The lead actress's name was Gene Tierney (who played Lucy Muir) I might have to look this up to see the movie now. Thanks.

And thanks for the response about the stained glass windows, cybele.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:The lead actress's name was Gene Tierney (who played Lucy Muir) I might have to look this up to see the movie now. Thanks.

And thanks for the response about the stained glass windows, cybele.

Thanks, Brokenlyre! That's her name. You must be (much) younger than me! My memory seems to fail me more times than not!
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi all! Long time, no forum. ;)

I'm returning because I HAD to share this. I don't know if any of you are fans of 30 Rock, but a few weeks ago there was a great reference to Keats from Alec Baldwin's character:
"Thirty years at GE. Now it's on to phase two. I'm like Keats' Stout Cortez, staring at the Pacific with a wild surmise and daring to imagine what new planets might swim into my my ken."

It made me much more excited than it should have. If you're in the States, you can watch the episode online, entitled "Operation Righteous Cowboy Lighting," for another few weeks. The quote occurs in the first scene.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:19 am

Welcome back Credo Buffa! You have been missed. I have never heard of this TV show.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:15 pm

That should be fun to see - on Hulu perhaps. Thanks for the heads up CB! Nice to hear from you again.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Remarkable. I just saw it on Hulu. How many people in the country would actually understand the reference to Chapman's Homer? I'm guessing there were 10 people at best who saw the show and understood it. Amazing that the writers put it in the script.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby jesleeall » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 pm

On The Daily Show, here's James Franco mentioning going to his Romantic Poets class at Yale the morning he found out he was nominated for an academy award:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-j ... mes-franco
jesleeall

Postby Saturn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I saw that; good for him.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world