Random Keats Sightings

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Random Keats Sightings

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:45 am

Awesome. I would love to have taken that class!
Good for him. I wouldn't cut class either.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 am

Ok - this is serious...

In 2008, I was driving through Erie, Pennsylvania (for those who don't know, Erie is a relatively small city on Lake Erie southwest of New York State, about 90 miles south of Buffalo, NY).

Anyway, I was driving down the main street (Route 19) when I saw a side road called "Keats Ave."
But when I was in the area some time ago, I noticed that the road sign was gone and they renamed it something else!!

C'mon! Our poet is still getting dissed today!

Probably John Gibson Lockhart's descendant is on the council board for street names!

But does this still count as a "Random Keats Sighting"?
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:43 am

Yes, I'll allow you that one Broken Lyre. :lol: Whoever re named that needs a kick up the ****.
What is it renamed to?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 am

Probably "Byron Boulevard", or as Brokenlyre suggests, "Lockhart Lane" ("Lockhart Alley" would be more like it -- or maybe "Lockhart's Dead-End" . . .).
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Or Abbey Way. :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:53 am

The next time I am in the area, I will check the road name. Serious. I would like to know why they changed it. arrgg...
:x
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cybele » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 am

Oh my gosh, Keatsian friends! I'm originally from Erie.
Alas, I never came across that street. It would be very cool to re-discover it and take a picture of it to post here.

B. L., did you say it intersected State Street? (That's the main street running North/South. -- I grew up about 3 miles from that street.)
Last edited by Cybele on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 am

Yipee! Keats Avenue still exists! It's off Peach Street (another of the main streets.) And even closer to where I grew up (about 5 blocks away) -- in the same zip (postal) code, and everything.

http://www.realtor.com/property-search/ ... /Keats-Ave

I will take a photo the next time I'm in Erie visiting family.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 am

Wow - Thanks Cybele! When I last visited, the street sign was down and I saw another sign up instead. If you do visit Erie, please drop by where Cherry Street crosses Peach Street (Rt. 19). Just a very short distance north of Cherry Street, is where Keats Street crosses Peach Street (Rt. 19).

Maybe they put the Keats sign back. I don't know. I am certain that it wasn't Keats when I was there. Let us know Cybele.

Thanks!
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cybele » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm

I grew up one block west of Cherry Street, and altho' I don't remember a street by that name, I'm quite familiar with that area.

I plan to be in Erie next month (or May at the latest), so I'll make sure to search for Keats Avenue. Thanks for posting this -- the obsessive in me is looking forward to the quest. :)
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Please check the actual road sign,when you visit Erie. I know that Google videos might be dated.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello, everyone!

Last night, I was watching an old British black-and-white film on Turner Classic Movies -- I believe the title was either The Searchers or The Seekers (I believe the former title is correct, although I wouldn't swear on it!). Anyway, the story seemed to revolve around a British schoolgirl and her relationship with her mother. I was busy grading papers and wasn't really paying any attention to it until I heard ". . . when sick for home, she stood in tears amid the alien corn." I, needless to say, perked up on that and started to watch the film at that point. The scene was a classroom, and the teacher was doing a most awful reading of "Ode To a Nightingale"! The protagonist (the afore-mentioned schoolgirl) was NOT paying any attention to the reading and was in the process of distracting her classmates with paper airplanes until the teacher finished reading the poem, and "busted" her! I realize that teacher was butchering Keats's poem with her inept recitation (B. Whishaw she wasn't, that's for sure!!), but that "brazen hussy" should not have behaving as she was!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:58 am

Did John get mentioned as the author of the poem?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:38 am

Raphael wrote:Did John get mentioned as the author of the poem?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't, because I know I would have really perked up at His Name! It seems as though there was a scene change from something to the schoolroom "Nightingale" incident. And when the scene did change, the teacher was almost through with the ode; the scene picked her up, I'm pretty sure, at the "Thou wast not born for death, Immortal bird" stanza, so she only read (not recited!) the last two stanzas.
Her reading was terrible. :x
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Well noone can top Ben Whishaw. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world