Favourite works

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Favourite works

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 pm

I agree with Malia here. The Realms of Gold is just fun to listen to (for us Americans, at least). The Narrator is Samuel West and Matthew Marsh. I really like the readings of the letters - that's where I learned more - just hearing it was great. It's a 2 cd set.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby karljoesen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am

and me?
Grecian Urn
Sleep and Poetry
Hyperion
To Autumn
John Keats was born in Finsbury chiropractic marketing near London on October 31st, 1795. The first son of a stable-keeper.
karljoesen

Postby Maureen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I am often drawn to different poems depending on my mood. I was delighted to read that Stephen Fry's favourite poem in his youth was 'Fancy' because I used to adore that in my teens too. And I'm a huge admirer of Stephen Fry too.

Now if pressed for my favourites they would have to be:

Nightingale - my all time No 1 poem, to the extent that I was actually a bit scared of the prospect of listening to Ben Whishaw reading it at the end of 'Bright Star' in case it was awful. It wasn't - it was a beautiful rendition.

To Autumn
Psyche
Grecian Urn
Melancholy
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 pm

I am often drawn to different poems depending on my mood. I was delighted to read that Stephen Fry's favourite poem in his youth was 'Fancy' because I used to adore that in my teens too. And I'm a huge admirer of Stephen Fry too.

I love that one too- Stephen Fry has excellent taste! I like him too- he was excellent as Oscar Wilde wasn't he?

Nightingale - my all time No 1 poem, to the extent that I was actually a bit scared of the prospect of listening to Ben Whishaw reading it at the end of 'Bright Star' in case it was awful. It wasn't - it was a beautiful rendition.

Ben Whishaw's readings of the poems and letters is nothing short of brilliant. He interprets the mood, feelings and tones of the texts perfectly. I have been reading After dark vapors have oppress'd our plains lately- these last few lines they affect me in a way I cannot explain (especially the last line):

And calmest thoughts come round us -- as, of leaves
Budding, -- fruit ripening in stillness,-- autumn suns
Smiling at eve upon the quiet sheaves, --
Sweet Sappho's cheek, -- a sleeping infant's breath, --
The gradual sand that through an hour-glass runs,
A woodland rivulet, -- a Poet's death.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby 128638 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:33 pm

I think "Ode on a Grecian Urn" is the best piece of poetry, even if it omits many of the lyrical qualities Keats is most noted for. It seems composed somehow, as if Keats has been inspired to write, rather than self-consciously deciding to pen a piece of ekphrastic poetry.
"He might have died: but now, with cheered feel,
He onward kept; wooing these thoughts to steal
About the labyrinth in his soul of love."

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:54 pm

To have written that at such a young age is truly awesome!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:07 pm

To have written that and the other odes at that age and in such a short space of time is even more awesome!

I alos forgot one of my long time favourites: 'To My Brothers' written on Tom's birthday. Not only is it incredibly emotional to read knowing what was to happen to Tom, but for me it encapsulates the joy of simple everyday family life - lounging on the sofa by the fire with a glass of wine and a book, or a good DVD, and people you love around you.
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Maureen wrote:To have written that and the other odes at that age and in such a short space of time is even more awesome!

I alos forgot one of my long time favourites: 'To My Brothers' written on Tom's birthday. Not only is it incredibly emotional to read knowing what was to happen to Tom, but for me it encapsulates the joy of simple everyday family life - lounging on the sofa by the fire with a glass of wine and a book, or a good DVD, and people you love around you.

Oh I love that too- poor Tom eh.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Raphael wrote:

I love that one too- Stephen Fry has excellent taste! I like him too- he was excellent as Oscar Wilde wasn't he?

Oh my gosh! I remember that! Fry made Wilde live!!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Maureen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Yes - one of my all time favourite films. I love Wilde's writings too - and the recent film of Dorian Gray was great: if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. Although, like most adaptations, the story does deviate from the original a bit.
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Maureen wrote:Yes - one of my all time favourite films. I love Wilde's writings too - and the recent film of Dorian Gray was great: if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. Although, like most adaptations, the story does deviate from the original a bit.

I did see the film- 3 times! I loved it. Ben Barnes was perfect as Dorian. I have a complete Oscar Wilde edition also. And of course Oscar loved our dear Junkets and wrote two poEms dedicated to him.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:51 pm

The original film was miles better, the additions I found to be obtrusive and unnecessary. All the subtlety and suggestiveness, the mystery was all lost from Wilde's story. The evil you can imagine is always more frightening than anything you can show on screen with garish CG images. An okay film but for a more faithful adaptation of Wilde's work watch the original.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Saturn wrote:The original film was miles better, the additions I found to be obtrusive and unnecessary. All the subtlety and suggestiveness, the mystery was all lost from Wilde's story. The evil you can imagine is always more frightening than anything you can show on screen with garish CG images. An okay film but for a more faithful adaptation of Wilde's work watch the original.

I prefer the new one- I like the colour and erotic scenes in it actually. I would like to see the original again fully- not seen it for while- seen clips on you tube tho. I think Ben Barnes is a better actor than the earlier fellow- he was far more convincing as the tortured Dorian.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Dolores » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 am

One of my favourite Keats poems is 'A Dream, After Reading Dante's Episode of Paulo and Francesca'. I also love 'Lamia' and 'On Sitting Down to Read King Lear Once Again'. Favourite Ode is very tough but 'Ode on Melancholy' is very special to me :)
Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss'd, and fair the form I floated with about that melancholy storm
Dolores

Postby Raphael » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your favourites Dolores. And welcome by the way. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays