Coleridge and Christabel in Keats

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Coleridge and Christabel in Keats

Postby Dolores » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 am

Apologies if this topic has already been posted but I recently read 'Lamia' and 'Eve of St Agnes' alongside Coleridge's 'Christabel' and although I'd heard Keats took inspiration from this poem I'm just wondering what everybody's opinions are in regards to the similarities etc.

I think the tone and eerie Gothic atmosphere of 'Christabel' is certainly similar to to 'Eve of St Agnes', especially the opening stanzas and I suppose you could say that Madeline is quite similar to Christabel in her innocence and naivety. With 'Lamia', if Keats has taken inspiration from 'Christabel' I think he's done something wonderful with the character of Geraldine who could arguably be seen in Lamia (references to snakes in 'Christabel') and completely turned the idea of an evil enchantress on its head. What does everybody else think? Is Keats drawing upon these characters in his poems?
Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss'd, and fair the form I floated with about that melancholy storm
Dolores

Re: Coleridge and Christabel in Keats

Postby Raphael » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:02 pm

I shall read Coleridge's Christabel and get back to you on this!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Coleridge and Christabel in Keats

Postby Cybele » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:33 am

I've not considered this before, Dolores. What an interesting insight!
The otherworldly tone, the misty eeriness that's the backdrop of all 3 poems. . . hmm, maybe Geraldine as a Lamia?

I've always assumed "Lamia" was inspired by K.'s reading (and re-reading) of "Anatomy of Melancholy." Of course, there can certainly be more than one source of inspiration! :D
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays