Calling all Clare and Keats fans! Nature question

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Calling all Clare and Keats fans! Nature question

Postby Dolores » Wed May 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Hello fellow Keats lovers, I have a bit of a 'homework' question if anybody would like to offer anything. I'm trying my best to sum up, in a few sentences, the attitudes of Clare and Keats, because they're my favourites (and because they're the best the Romantic period has to offer in my opinion:wink:) in regards to nature. I have a serious amount of contrasts and comparisons running around my head but I'd quite like to pin something down (which I realise is probably quite impossible considering the complexity of Keats attitude towards nature) but I think this would be helpful.

So, with that, any offers :D
Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss'd, and fair the form I floated with about that melancholy storm
Dolores

Re: Calling all Clare and Keats fans! Nature question

Postby Saturn » Wed May 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Clare was a man of the soil, a country-born and bred man to whom the flowers, trees, plants and animals were as kin and intimates from the cradle, whereas Keats was a city boy who aspired t that kind of familiar acquaintance with nature. That is not to denigrate Keats' knowledge of flowers etc. which are certainly better than mine, but he falls short of Clare's labourer's deep understanding of the natural world and the seasons.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu May 12, 2011 2:32 am

Oh I don't know- I stood tip toe is very descriptive and in good detail.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Dolores » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks for the speedy replies. It's really interesting you should say that about Keats aspiring to the same kind of afinity Saturn, because one of the things I want to look at is how Keats, in Nightingale, has a real longing to transcend that barrier between him and nature and the nightingale, and when he loses that feeling it's awful. Whereas in Clare's Nightingales Nest and Emmonsails Heath, I get the impression that he's quite happy to just watch the nightingale and watch the actions of nature. Also Keats nightingale is sort of a mythical creature whereas I feel that Clare's nightingale is more vulnerable. I get the impression that Clare feels no need to transcend any barriers. I think 'To Autumn' shows Keats has sort of progressed in his views of nature and looks at it in the same way Clare might. These are still quite rough ideas and definitely not accurate but I'm going to get my close reading head on and see what I can find!! Thanks again for the replies :)
Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss'd, and fair the form I floated with about that melancholy storm
Dolores

Postby Cybele » Fri May 13, 2011 3:59 am

I think it's time for me to revisit Clare.
(Thanks, folks!)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri May 13, 2011 6:43 am

The nightingale is certainly mythic; Keats had the sense of the mystery, and divinity of nature, whereas Clare has no time for such notions, his view of nature is straightforward, earthy and real.

And Cybele, it is definitely worth revisiting Clare, he as, and people like Ted Hughes and Seamus Heaney and many others have said, is the finest English nature poet.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Dolores » Fri May 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Be sure to revisit the Lament of Swordy Well Cybele, it's such a beautiful poem and always tugs at my emotions!
Dolores

Return to Help and Homework