Keats "sighting"

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Nightface » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:58 pm

You can't live without it....I mean...The face of a dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Nightface

Postby Saturn » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 pm

:?: :?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:21 pm

Here's a Keats sighting that involves me. I was in a production of the Vagina Monologues to raise money for anti-domestic violence services on the nearby Umatilla Indian Reservation this week and in the program (which I didn't help put together) I read this in the cast bios:

Mary is an active member of Toastmasters and is a leader in the Episcopal Church. She has a special passion for Keats.

There was more in the bio--but I wanted to point out the Keats bit. It was funny, as I said, I had no part in putting the bio together so the person who wrote the bio knew just by knowing me that I have a love of Keats. Hmm. . .didn't know I was that "obvious" hehe :wink:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:33 pm

ha ha, that's great! Whoever wrote it obviously pays attention :wink:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Andrew Motion Reading Keats

Postby Malia » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:00 am

I suppose this could go under the heading "Poets reading Keats" but I figured I'd put it here as a sighting.

On the BBC website I found this interesting page--highlighting Andrew Motion's first inspirational experience while reading Keats when he was 16. He wrote a poem about it which I've copied below. If you want to hear him read the poem aloud, try the link I've added and it should take you to that page.

On First Looking Into Keat's Poems by Andrew Motion

Sixteen or so, I took your book outside
and read it to the living wind and sun
until your here-and-now was far-and-wide.
I saw the stained glass colours start to run
back to the scenes from which they started out:
those antique rooms where love decides its fate;
the banished rulers with their cut-off shout;
a god discovering his power too late… .

Now what felt young in you has come of age
through time you never had, but kept in view,
and here's your book again. Each deep-dyed page
still shows me what is beautiful and true:
old artifice connecting head to heart;
new planets orbiting a world apart.

Here's the link to the site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/arts/ ... .shtml#one
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:31 am

Oops--somehow my message got sent three times. I can't figure out how to delete--can you help, Saturn? :oops:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 am

I don't know what's up with that, actually (sorry, jumping in here). Normally there is a "delete" button available for your own posts while you're logged in, but sometimes the button goes away... Try logging in again and post a new message, and the button should be available - maybe then you'll be able to delete your older posts too.. :?

Worst case, you can just edit the duplicates to economize on screen real estate, removing the text and leave a note "[deleted - double post]" or smth ;)
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:51 am

Deleted them Malia - sorry you had to lose two posts :?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:09 am

Keats (and the rest of the Romantics) is mentioned in a book I'm reading called Happiness, A History. This book is basically a historical and philosophical look at what people in the Western world think Happiness is (and how to attain it) throughout the ages. The author Darrin M. McMahon concludes that the Romantics invested pain with significant depth--he mentions Keats particularly and quotes Ode on Melancholy saying "Keats, too, in his celebrated 'Ode on Melancholy' extols the pleasures of dejection, recommending that we take them much further afield . . .the world, in this reckoning (the poem), became a field on which to project one's sadness, to luxuriate in one's despair."

So, in a sense, the Romantics fould pleasure in pain. The masochists! :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re:

Postby Cath » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Saturn wrote:There's an episode of the comedy Blackadder in which Coleridge, Byron and Shelley appear [but no Keats] which is similarly bizarre.

The Blackadder scene in which the Romantic poets are mentioned is from Series 3, "Ink and Incapability", and can be watched here (Coleridge, Byron and Shelley appear around the 13:30 min mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9U_tdRIeU

Mrs Miggins: "Don't you worry 'bout my poets, Mr Blackadder. They're not dead; they're just being intellectual."
Edmund: "Mrs Miggins, there's nothing intellectual about wandering around Italy in a big shirt trying to get laid."

It's brilliant :lol: .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: Keats "sighting"

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 pm

:lol:
Poor Baldrick- Beelezub or a pencil!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to Keats around the world