Sexy Poetry

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Sexy Poetry

Postby KoolKeats » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

I was hoping you gentlefolk could help me. I am writing a short paper on the manifestation of sex and sexuality in Keats' poetry. I want to explore not only what is sexual in his poetry, but what kind of statement he was trying to make and how this is connected both to the mundane and the divine qualities of human nature.

Sometimes I have some difficulty interpreting the more subtle insinuations of desire in his poetry however, and I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction in terms of the best poems I could base my paper on. I could alternatively, or supplementally write on his letters, if there is anything there of interest as well.

Thank you!
KoolKeats

Re: Sexy Poetry

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am

KoolKeats wrote:I was hoping you gentlefolk could help me. I am writing a short paper on the manifestation of sex and sexuality in Keats' poetry. I want to explore not only what is sexual in his poetry, but what kind of statement he was trying to make and how this is connected both to the mundane and the divine qualities of human nature.

Sometimes I have some difficulty interpreting the more subtle insinuations of desire in his poetry however, and I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction in terms of the best poems I could base my paper on. I could alternatively, or supplementally write on his letters, if there is anything there of interest as well.

Thank you!

This link to an essay on sensuality and eroticism and John Keats may be of some help to you:

http://www.literature-study-online.com/ ... icism.html

Parts of Endymion are sensual as are:

La Belle Dame Sans Merci, Oh blush not so, Lamia, The Eve of St Agnes(explores sexual and erotic love), Hush hush tread softly.., Unfelt, unheard, unseen, Hither, hither love, You say you love, Where ye be going Devon maid.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:30 pm

There has been research into is, you could check out one or more of the following books which focus on Keats and sexuality (perhaps other Forum members know of other ones):

The Romantic Body: Love and Sexuality in Keats, Wordsworth and Blake by Jean Hagstrum (1986)

Victorian Keats: Manliness, Sexuality and Desire by James Najarian (2002)

Keats, Mythology and the Politics of Sexuality by David Edwards (1996)
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Fanny » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Here you can read an essay which may be interesting:

http://www.literature-study-online.com/ ... icism.html
Fanny

Postby Raphael » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 am

This is an interesting essay- I found it myself awhile back and posted a link to it on another thread. Well worth reading.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays