Trips to the Isle of Wight

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Endymion » Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:30 pm

C'mon! Let's get this place going a little ... so much to say about such a great influence on poetry and psychology and modern thought deserves a little more thought and attention...

Does anyone know if the places Keats stayed in the Isle of Wight are still about? As I live relatively close I was going to take a trip out there before too long ... anybody happen to know? I would love to visit Carisbrooke Castle and Blackgang Chine.

Why is there a memorial to Tennyson glaring at me from the postcard, but no mention of Keats?!??
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:22 am

I believe so.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:39 am

hello..i love keats :oops:

C'mon! Let's get this place going a little ...

Postby Keats rocks my world » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:56 pm

Hey,
I am studying Keats as part of my A-Level English Lit course and have found his poems suprisingly interesting and relevant to the way that I am living my life at the moment. His ideas on Negative Capability strike a chord and his attitudes to life also seem eerily similar to that of an eighteen year old social anarchist. :twisted:
Keats rocks my world

Postby Endymion » Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:03 pm

You wouldn't believe now how much social anarchy is popular in all socieities. I've come to realise it's a measure of dissatisfaction with the world, a sense of betrayal that this is all life will amount to. You don't want to be pigeon-holed into the social norm.

I wonder really if any modern social anarchist like yourself would read "This Living Hand, now Warm and Capable" they wouldn't be struck with awe at the sheer morbidity of it, and the intense beauty.

From memory, this is it:

"This living hand, now warm and capable
Of earnest grasping would, if it were cold,
And in the icy silence of the tomb
So haunt thy days and chill thy dreaming nights
That thy wouldst wish thine own heart dry of blood
That in my veins red life might stream again
And thou be conscience-calmed
See - here it is - I hold it towards you."

please correct me if there are any mistakes.
What do you think Rocks?
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Re: Trips to the Isle of Wight

Postby Cath » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Endymion wrote:Does anyone know if the places Keats stayed in the Isle of Wight are still about?

The cottage where he stayed in Shanklin seems to be still standing, although the building has been extended. It's called - predictably enough - Keats Cottage these days (previously Eglantine cottage):
http://www.isleofwight.com/keatscottage/

The website talks about Keats's room being "more luxuriously furnished than in Keats's time" - no kidding! Presumably there wasn't a TV or welcome tray either :lol:

Has anyone been to the Isle of Wight for the purpose of looking at the Keats sites? I only went over as a kid on a school-trip to look at the multi-coloured sand, they didn't tell us about JK...
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 am

Cath wrote:The website talks about Keats's room being "more luxuriously furnished than in Keats's time" - no kidding! Presumably there wasn't a TV or welcome tray either :lol:

I'll bet there was no en suite, either! :lol:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cath » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Also I read at the beginning of Carol Walker's Walking North with Keats that when she visited the Isle of Wight in 1978 in the footsteps of Keats, one of the places in Shanklin where he and Charles Brown stayed had become....a hair salon! Poor bald Charles Brown.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Cath » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Wow, now I've seen the photos Maureen put on the forum last year from her "Keatsian" Isle of Wight trip, I really want to go now!

http://www.john-keats.com/phpboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8469
Cath
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Who wouldn't want to go? I'd join you Cath!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Life and Letters