Keats poems edited by Amy Lowell

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats poems edited by Amy Lowell

Postby mevans1983 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen the two volumes of poems edited by Amy Lowell? I'm contemplating buying them as I love long forgotten old books in volume set. Thanks in advance for any help.
mevans1983

Re: Keats poems edited by Amy Lowell

Postby Cath » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 pm

I only know of the two-volume biography of Keats which Lowell published in 1925. From 1915 through 1917 she edited an annual anthology of imagist poetry, wrote poems herself on Keats, and left her Keats collection (which included letters) to Harvard University when she died, but I hadn't heard of her editing two volumes of Keats's poetry. How did you hear about that? Does anyone know any more?
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Cath » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:54 am

I've read more about Amy Lowell now and I haven't come across anything about her editing Keats's poetry. The OP must have been confusing it with her two-volume biography from 1925 or the one-volume Poetical Works of John Keats with a memoir by James Russell Lowell, which was published in the 1870s.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:52 am

I tend to agree with Cath on this one. I have Lowell's 1925 Keats biography (fun read by the way). But I have no knowledge of her "editing" Keats' works.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays