Keats Recitation

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats Recitation

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 am

Tonight, my 19 year old son had to read a poem to his college "Communications Class." All the students were required to do the same - read any poem they could find to the whole class. The teacher was very critical of the the two students who read their poems before my son, so he got up, and though very nervous, decided to recite "Chapman's Homer" from memory. The teacher was stunned and actually said to the class, "Now THAT is the way you should do it!" If you knew how difficult college is for my son, you'd understand how wonderful this is. But Keats saved the day! :) Once again, the poetry of Keats is put to use to help my kids in their classwork and in their confidence. The other poems read to the class were like contemporary drivel compared to Keats. Awesome. Getting my young kids to memorize some Keats poems was one of the best decisions I ever made. And Keats got some much needed "air-time" tonight in the college. It's a good day today in my house :) and had to share it with somebody.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Keats Recitation

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Congratulations to him! And how lucky of him to have a parent that knows good poetry :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Congratulations to him! And how lucky of him to have a parent that knows good poetry :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:35 am

That's brilliant Broken Lyre! I couldn't recite it from memory. :oops:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Raphael wrote:That's brilliant Broken Lyre! I couldn't recite it from memory. :oops:

Maybe the first verse. . . !!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 am

Glad you can enjoy this vicariously. Memorizing a poem just takes some time learning each line. Fortunately, Keats flows really well for some of his sonnets ("When I Have Fears", "Chapman's Homer" , "To One Who Has Been Long in City Pent", or even "A Thing of Beauty")
That helps. But it just takes some work. At any rate, my kids get great mileage in school on Keats, especially so since nobody really memorizes poetry anymore.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:52 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:Glad you can enjoy this vicariously. Memorizing a poem just takes some time learning each line. Fortunately, Keats flows really well for some of his sonnets ("When I Have Fears", "Chapman's Homer" , "To One Who Has Been Long in City Pent", or even "A Thing of Beauty")
That helps. But it just takes some work. At any rate, my kids get great mileage in school on Keats, especially so since nobody really memorizes poetry anymore.

I will admit to having memorized, believe it or not, "Ode to a Nightingale," "Bright Star," "La Bell Dame sans Merci," This Living Hand," " some stanzas, including the last, of "Ode On a Grecian Urn," and most of "When I Have Fears." My goal is to complete the "Grecian Urn", "When I Have Fears,' and "To Autumn." I'm working on the first stanza of "Hyperion: A Fragment." I love that verse: ":the Naiad 'mid her reeds/Pressed her cold finger closer to her lips." "On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer" is on my list.
It's sad, isn't it, when all one has to do is to sit around and read this kid's poetry; it just kind of sinks in as you do do, doesn't it.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 pm

I think that's great Ennis. It's mandatory in my house to memorize some Keats. My daughter and I memorized 10 poems (sonnets & odes) and she wants to quote "To Autumn" with me at her wedding this Aug 4th. I think that would be great. :D

A real conversation between my 7 year old daughter and me in the car last week:

"I will never memorize John Keats!!!" she protested.
"Why not?" I asked her. "Everybody in our house has memorized at least one poem!"
"Cuz, it's weird!" she yelled. "It's too hard to understand! I just don't understand what he's talking about!!"
"Well, you'll understand in about 7 years."
"I still won't do it!!" she insisted.

"OK...OK.......But a thing of beauty is a joy forever" I offered.

"Dad!!!"

That's how it tends to go in my house.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm

I made a robot say the first verse of Ode To A Nightingale today! :lol:

http://www.fact.co.uk/news-views/2012/0 ... -tonight!/

You can see it in the picture on the right-you text it what you want it to say- its eyes light up and it plays a funny tune before it speaks!
It doesn't pause for breath and its mouth is a smiley flashing light and people were stopping and staring at it recite the poem. :lol:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Keats around the world