Ben Whishaw as Ariel

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Ben Whishaw as Ariel

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqM28B95IGg

Isn't he good?
Don't know who Helen Mirren is supposed to be- is she playing a man's part?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Ben Whishaw as Ariel

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:35 pm

She plays Prospera, a female version of Prospero in that film version of The Tempest.

I still haven't seen it out of principal because that half-wit Russell Brand is in it. :evil:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Saturn wrote:She plays Prospera, a female version of Prospero in that film version of The Tempest.

I still haven't seen it out of principal because that half-wit Russell Brand is in it. :evil:

Think I remember you mentioning that twit Brand being in something Ben is in awhile back- what role did they give Brand? Should have been the privy attendant :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Close, he plays Caliban, the savage inhabitant of the island...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Saturn wrote:Close, he plays Caliban, the savage inhabitant of the island...

LOL wouldn't have needed to change his everyday look then :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Saturn wrote:Close, he plays Caliban, the savage inhabitant of the island...

Russell Brand plays a buffoon (how appropriate!) paired up with a drunk played by Alfred Molina; I forget their Shakespearean names. They, obviously, provide the comic relief. Actually, I thought Russell Brand did an alright job; I was suprised, needless to say. Much the way I was surprised when that overrated actour, Mel Gibson, played Hamlet; however, I suppose it's hard to screw up a great script, no matter what Hollywood does to it! Caliban is played by some African actour whose name escapes me at the moment, although he has been in other films.

(I do wonder, Saturn, if your comment about Brand playing Caliban is sarcastic!?!?!)

Ben Whishaw's Ariel is somewhat androgynous. There's even one scene when he's luring (with a song) Ferdinand toward Miranda and he even has breasts, albeit small ones, but breasts just the same. On the dvd, there's a director's commentary as you watch the film, and she gives lots of very interesting information about casting filming, etc. She said Whishaw had no problem with wearing prosthetic breasts! Ah! The mark of a true actour. . . . !

I liked the movie, but I am a huge Whishaw fan. If you haven't seen Criminal Justice and The Hour (both out on dvd), you should. He certainly won't ever be stereotyped (in his roles); he's a great (and underrated -- at least in America) actour who seems to be able to play most any type of character. "Course, I am somewhat partial to him, for obvious reasons. Not to mention (again) that he's "awfully" pretty to look at!

I just now looked up Caliban on Imdb, and the actour's name is Dijmon Hounsou, and he's from Benin (wherever that is). He was in The Gladiator (when I watched The Tempest for the first time, I thought he looked familiar -- now I know why!). He was also in Blood Diamond with another underrated actour, Leonardo Di Caprio.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 pm

I was being mildly sarcastic saying he played Claiban, he actually plays Trinculo, appropriately as you say a buffoon...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 am

I think they showed us the Mel Gibson Hamlet at oollege in my literature course. And you are right Ennis about Leo- he is much under rated. Have you seen What's eating Gilbert Grape? He was superb as a lad with learning difficulties and that film he did set in the 1950s with Kate Winslett- he was very convincing as a young husband fustrated with his life and not understanding his equally fed up wife.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous