Short video on Keats-Shelley House by new curator

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Short video on Keats-Shelley House by new curator

Postby Cath » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Particularly of interest for those who cannot make it to Italy to see the house in which Keats died - here's the new curator of the Keats-Shelley House in Rome, Giuseppe Albano, taking a walk through some of the rooms and explaining the museum's importance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZxAGg9qhKg

Albano also mentions that the house receives no funds from the British government (due to its location abroad, apparently) and survives on ticket sales and the generosity of donors.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: Short video on Keats-Shelley House by new curator

Postby Cybele » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:56 am

Thanks so much, Cath!
I hope to be able to visit someday.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 am

I'd love to go back there, this guy looks cool; Keats legacy in Rome is in good hands :)
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 am

Giuseppe is great- has enthusiasm and very articulate. Wonder where in Italy he's from- unusual accent ( but in a good way).
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:18 am

Lol his accent is Scottish, he must be second generation Italian from the U.K. who's gone to work in Italy.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Saturn wrote:Lol his accent is Scottish, he must be second generation Italian from the U.K. who's gone to work in Italy.

Hello, everyone!

According to my copy of "The Keats-Shelley Review," the new curator, Dr. Giuseppe Vito Albano, is of "Scottish-Italian nationality. . . he holds a doctorate in English Literature from the University of Cambridge. . . . His extensive teaching and museum experience includes lecturing at the Wallace Collection and the British Museum.
"Giuseppe is now supervising the final stage of the Centenary Development project, the first-floor exhibition space, bookshop, and the reclamation of the adjoining terrace as an aoudoor space for Museum events. He will also be working on other plans and directions in which to develop and promote the Keats-Shelley House." Boy, he sounds like a real "go-getter," (and, according to his photograph, he's quite attractive. Not that that makes any difference. . .) but we Keatsians must remember that much of these renovations were started by Catherine Payling, the former curator (who, by the way, was very tolerant and patient with me and what she probably thought were dumb questions when I visited The House during the summer of 2009. What I wouldn't give to see it now that the renovations are completed -- The House in Hampstead, also. Those renovations were supposed to have been completed by October 2008, then Spring 2009, and finally 24-25th July, 2009 -- 10 days after I left London! Talk about luck. . . .). Anyway, back to the renovations: the previous information was from the most recent "TKSR" (September, 2011), but the April, 2011 edition said "The third and final phase, the exterior first-floot terrace, will be complete by December 2011." I assume all is completed, and since the museum didn't have to deal with beaurecratic red-tape when it comes to doling out money, especially for the arts and maybe, everything is cerrtainly completed. One day, I will be back.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:31 am

Saturn wrote:Lol his accent is Scottish, he must be second generation Italian from the U.K. who's gone to work in Italy.

LOL I must get a good night's sleep and have a few days' off cos I can normally get accents well (an ex TEFL teachers' ear....)

Thanks for the info on Giuseppe Ennis- he is a great curator!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby marwood » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for posting Cath. I have got to go there! somehow!
He does seem a nice guy. I just know I would start to get emotional
as soon as I saw the place.
Take care.
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Ennis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:40 am

marwood wrote:Thanks for posting Cath. I have got to go there! somehow!
He does seem a nice guy. I just know I would start to get emotional
as soon as I saw the place.
Take care.
Marwood.

Oh, you would, you would get emotional! Especially when you see the little bed (which I know is not the original), the fireplace (which is) where blessed Severn cooked their meals, the marble staircase to the second floor (my God, which He must have walked up!), the terra-cotta floor tiles (which,also, He must have walked on), and those (damn but beautiful) ceiling tiles. According to Catherine Payling, the then curator, the floor plan is some what different when Keats and Severn lodged there. I'll get my brother, who's more computer literate than I could ever hope to be, to post some of my pictures one day soon. My avatar is one. Like I wrote in an earlier post, I will be back.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby marwood » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 am

Well, I have booked to go to Rome! We have rented a one bedroom apartment across from the Spanish steps!
Fly out the 6th of September for six nights. I fear I am about to burst!!

Take care.
Marwood.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Oh you must tell us about your visit marwood!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 pm

That's great news for you Marwood! I bet you will have a lovely time. Look forward to hearing all about it!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 am

Oh my goodness, Marwood, I'm so very jealous! Have an absolutely wonderful time, take lots of photos to show us less-fortunates, and imagine us all stowed away in your suitcase & looking over your shoulder at every opportunity.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby marwood » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:39 am

Back from Rome! A busy bustling beautiful city. Went to the Vatican, Sistine chapel, Colosseum but the most
emotional place was Keats house. walking in and seeing that tiny room brought a lump to my throat.
I will try and post some photographs, if I can! back to work today so feel flat as can be!

Take care.
Marwood.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Looking forward to seeing them Marwood. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Keats around the world