Richard III found!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Richard III found!

Postby Raphael » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:23 am

Richard III's skeleton has been found and they have made a likeness of him based on his skull:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-21328380

Fascinating!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Richard III found!

Postby Cybele » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 am

I saw this on the news this evening. Pretty interesting stuff!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Is it totally ghoulish of me to kind of wish they'd dig up Keats's skull and do a similar reconstruction?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Yes, Malia -- :lol: -- it would be a bit ghoulish. (On the other hand, if Fanny's letters were still intact, it might be interesting reading.)

(Photo stolen from a friend on Facebook.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 am

I already have a replica of Keats's head from the 1816 cast on my wall. That will do for me.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:26 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:I already have a replica of Keats's head from the 1816 cast on my wall. That will do for me.

Me, too (on both accounts!). I've seen the death mask at The House in Rome, and that's sad enough.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 am

That's true--we do have the masks. . .but there's something so profound about a full head --with hair and fleshed out features and eyes open etc. that I'd love to see. While the masks give us a great sense of his features, they are muted by the weight of plaster, his eyes are closed, and his hair is covered. And yes, okay, I am a little bit on the morbidly curious side generally. (I blame my English degree ;) )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 pm

I agree malia...made me laugh to read your post. I gotta find time to finish reading the Keats Brothers first....
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Miscellaneous