Thinking

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Thinking

Postby dks » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:27 pm

...thinking of applying for the Phd program here in Houston and continuing my reasearch (from my Master's) on Keats's synesthesia. I had sent my thesis to the Keats-Shelley review a few years back just after completing it...alas, they determined that I was "too deterministic". Perhaps, but this topic has me so engrossed (my second-reader professor scolded me for 'shooting way too high' by sending it there first! :wink:) ...I am now combing through Endymion (again) and identifying all idiosyncratic sensory perceptions that I can deem wholly synesthestic (as opposed to 'pseudo-synesthetic'). My own synesthesia (lexical-gustatory) is what helps drive my interest here...I know my man had it...specifically, I think he had a combination of light-smell and color-taste. If only I could just ask him... :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Re: Thinking

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:48 am

My daughter has synesthesia (number-color) variety, which has strangely given her excellent math skills. I too loved math - but I never see color with numbers. I always thought it was strange that she would see colors and actually think in colors. But it never hurt her scores. Seeing such a reality in her life makes me believe that Keats had something similar. So I tend to agree with dks on this. Interesting subject - as I never once thought of it until a few years ago with my daughter.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Interesting posts folks. I am totally rubbish at maths. Hope you get to do your thesis dks. "Deterministic"- what's that when it's at home? :roll:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 pm

I have synesthesia, too. (The loud noises/color variety.) Two of my kids and I also perceive numbers as having personalities. I thought this was something idiosyncratic to just my family until I came across this article on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinal_linguistic_personification I was surprised to learn that this was a manifestation of synesthesia.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Malia » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 am

Wow that is interesting, Cybele! I can't say I have that experience, though I have certain positive sensations about certain numbers--especially the number 24.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays