Plans to allow weddings at Keats House causing controversy

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Plans to allow weddings at Keats House causing controversy

Postby Cath » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm

From the local Hampstead newspaper:
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/plan_to_allow_weddings_at_john_keats_former_hampstead_home_hits_opposition_1_2425598

Somehow sad that the house of Keats - who had neither enough money, nor good enough health to marry, had he chosen to - should be the place where weddings are held. Also, I wonder whether it distracts from the point of the museum? On the other hand: if they raise enough money through it, they could purchase more original Keats manuscripts that are otherwise disappearing into private collections :lol: .

What do you think?
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: Plans to allow weddings at Keats House causing controver

Postby Saturn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:28 am

I don't see anything wrong with this, if it makes some money to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the house and the legacy of Keats, why not? You can get married in almost any public building in Britian, and how romantic would Keats house be for a wedding?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 pm

It's still ironic, not to mention sad, for the reasons Cath points out. However, after reading the article, I have to agree with Saturn. At least it's promised no receptions, loud music, banners, etc.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:59 am

Interesting. As long as it doesn't interfere with tourists, then I guess it's fair game.

I just wish I had the money to make large contributions to the House.... that would be great!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:28 pm

Saturn wrote:I don't see anything wrong with this, if it makes some money to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the house and the legacy of Keats, why not? You can get married in almost any public building in Britian, and how romantic would Keats house be for a wedding?

I agree. And how about having music from Bright Star at the weddings or Mozart? Yes!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Keats around the world