Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Saturn » Mon May 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Yeah, but the film as a whole, Ben and Emma Thompson aside was a pale shadow of the original Tv series. Ben's take on Sebastian was pretty good, but the shortness of the film was a real hindrance, you really don't get a full exploration of his decline, fall and partial redemption. So much of the novel and the original series' power was it's length and the ability to portray that slow steady disintegration of the family and of an entire social class. Good effort, but a B- for me to be honest.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon May 27, 2013 7:49 pm

In other news, I bought the box set of The Hollow Crown and look forward to watching it during the week, especially the Richard II.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue May 28, 2013 12:39 am

And I shall envy you your watching from across the Pond. Can't wait til they show the series here--hopefully this fall.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Tue May 28, 2013 2:08 am

Saturn wrote:In other news, I bought the box set of The Hollow Crown and look forward to watching it during the week, especially the Richard II.

Jeez, and I'm not envious, am I?!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 am

Won't the UK DVD work on your computers? Have they not released it on US Amazon then?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:13 am

It's only available in British format in the US--and you need a special converter to view them. I'm not interested in spending $50-$80 on a converter just to watch The Hollow Crown. I'll wait til it's released in a universal format. Hopefully, it *will* be.

I don't know if British DVD's play on computers. . .my CD-ROM drive is broken, anyway. :(
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue May 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Oh no! Hopefully they'll release a region 1 DVD of the series soon. Believe me it will be worth the wait!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:24 am

Read on line that Ben may be in the running to play the new Dr. Who. Keep your fingers crossed! I can't get enough of him; I just wish I could have the pleasure of watching him live on stage. Oh, well, if I'm ever lucky enough to manage a move to London, that wish (of many) will hopefully come true!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Can't see that to be honest, think he's too versatile and chameleon-like actor to want to be forever typecast for a role like that.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Saturn wrote:Can't see that to be honest, think he's too versatile and chameleon-like actor to want to be forever typecast for a role like that.

No doubt correct, especially since Dr. Who has been on forever! But I'll take Ben anyway I can!! :wink:
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 am

I've been considering it, and I doubt Ben would want to make all the public appearances that Dr. Who would inevitably require. I expect it'd be much harder for him to separate personal time from "work" time if he took the role. (I mention this b/c Benedict Cumberbatch said he himself wouldn't want the role for that very reason--and it seemed to me that his argument would apply to Ben as well.)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:16 am

Last edited by Cath on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Ben's a great actor and everything but I cant believe Sacha Baron Cohen backed out of that film looks-wise and personality wise he would have been perfect for Freddie - Ben not so much to be honest.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Also no feedback from our American friends here about The Hollow Crown?
Has it not aired over there yet?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Saturn wrote:Ben's a great actor and everything but I cant believe Sacha Baron Cohen backed out of that film looks-wise and personality wise he would have been perfect for Freddie - Ben not so much to be honest.

Yes Cohen a better option than Ben, but I still don't think they have found the right man to play Freddie yet.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous