John Keats & his Circle: 2-Day Conference at Keats House

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

John Keats & his Circle: 2-Day Conference at Keats House

Postby Cath » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Here are the details:

John Keats and his Circle A Two-Day Conference at Keats House, Hampstead, London 2-4 May 2014

Call for Papers

Keynote Speakers
Richard Marggraf Turley
Sarah Wootton

Guest of Honour
John Barnard

The Keats Foundation, Keats House, Hampstead, is delighted to announce its first two-day conference, ‘John Keats and his Circle’, to be held at Keats House, Hampstead. Keats House – originally Wentworth Place – was where John Keats lived from December 1818 until he left for Naples and Rome in September 1820. It was here that many of Keats’s greatest poems were written, including the spring odes of 1819, and it was here that Keats passed some of his happiest times with Fanny Brawne. Nearby are Well Walk, where the Keats brothers formerly lived; Pond Street, where B. R. Haydon retreated after strenuous bouts of painting; the Vale of Health, where Keats visited Leigh Hunt; and the rolling landscape and ponds of Hampstead Heath.

Twenty-minute papers are invited on all aspects of John Keats’s poetry, letters, manuscripts, life, and posthumous reputation (myths and memoirs; biographies; critical reception; creative afterlives and legacies – poetry, painting, imagined lives). Papers will also be welcomed on Keats in relation to his remarkable circle of friends, including, but not limited to, Fanny Brawne, Charles Brown, Lord Byron, Charles Cowden Clarke, William Hazlitt, John and Leigh Hunt, Isabella Jones, the Ollier brothers, John Hamilton Reynolds, Joseph Severn, Percy and Mary Shelley, and John Taylor the publisher. All papers should have a significant Keats dimension.

Lectures and papers will be presented in Keats House itself, and in the spacious Nightingale Room immediately next door. We anticipate leisurely walks to explore the Keatsian locality. For further information about the House, please visit

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-t ... fault.aspx

Please submit 200 word proposals to the Chair of the Keats Foundation, Nicholas Roe, nhr@st-andrews.ac.uk and please copy to the selection panel Professor Richard Marggraf Turley, rcm@aber.ac.uk and Dr. Sarah Wootton s.e.wootton@durham.ac.uk. Deadline for receipt paper abstracts will be 1 December 2013.

Registration will then follow during December. Our aim has been to keep this as simple as is practically possible. The conference fee will be £75.00 sterling for the duration of the conference, to cover conference overheads, teas, coffees, wine and so on. To postgraduate students and unwaged we offer a concession fee of £40.00. Lunches and dinners will be improvised at local pubs and restaurants, and are not covered by the conference fee. Overnight accommodation during the conference is similarly wholly at the discretion of participants. Early booking is recommended.

Link:
http://keatsfoundation.com/john-keats-and-his-circle-a-two-day-conference-at-keats-house-hampstead-london-2-4-may-2014/
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: John Keats & his Circle: 2-Day Conference at Keats House

Postby Ennis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:36 pm

I live too far away: wrong country, wrong city. Anyone who lives in or near London want to trade places?!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Even in the North of England I am too far away Ennis!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Raphael wrote:Even in the North of England I am too far away Ennis!

At least you're in the same country! It's at least "do-able" for you!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:59 pm

It's also pretty damn expensive, even if you lived in London, £75!

I know they're trying to raise money fort the house and everything but this thing sounds like an elitist academic snoozefest quite honestly.
Give me a relaxed gathering with drinks and puns and laughs rather than this dull sounding dry conference!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Me, too, Saturn! But I'll take whatever I can get, and over here that's nothing! Those who live reasonably close to London/Hampstead at least have some choice! What do we Keatsians in the good ol' USA have?
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:56 pm

You have most of his manuscripts and a lot of the letters!

Keats belongs in some ways even more to you than he does to Britain, he belongs to the English speaking world now, and always will but his literary heritage is as much, if not more, an American one as it is a London, England, or British one.

I've always suspected that had Keats lived and been able to marry Fanny etc he would undoubtedly have followed in George's footsteps and emigrated across the Atlantic, and who knows what great work and what influence he would have had on American and British literature!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Saturn wrote:You have most of his manuscripts and a lot of the letters!

Keats belongs in some ways even more to you than he does to Britain, he belongs to the English speaking world now, and always will but his literary heritage is as much, if not more, an American one as it is a London, England, or British one.

I've always suspected that had Keats lived and been able to marry Fanny etc he would undoubtedly have followed in George's footsteps and emigrated across the Atlantic, and who knows what great work and what influence he would have had on American and British literature!

It's interesting you should mention the possibility of Keats emigrating to America - I found (a while back) a poem about Keats in Colorado (!), of all places.
No argument about his literary heritage; I just want to be near where he created and have access to whichever events/programs are available that interest me.
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Cath » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:31 am

Saturn wrote:It's also pretty damn expensive, even if you lived in London, £75!

I know they're trying to raise money fort the house and everything but this thing sounds like an elitist academic snoozefest quite honestly.
Give me a relaxed gathering with drinks and puns and laughs rather than this dull sounding dry conference!

I've been to other conferences (e.g. on Sylvia Plath) and the price is quite usual. I don't think it's charged with the aim of raising money for Keats house (unfortunately) but rather to cover costs.

I was initially thinking of going, but I really cannot stand the controversy-loving tactics of the man organising it - Richard Marggraf Turley was the chap who, intent on achieving maximum "impact" for his employers, published that idiotic nonsense about JK having a foot fetish etc. etc.
http://www.john-keats.com/phpboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11774&p=31396&hilit=Aberystwyth#p31396

I much prefer your idea, Saturn, of an evening of puns & claret & a snug fireside!
Last edited by Cath on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Hey lets do it, if any of us wins the lottery we'll assemble the Keats forum posse and have a night of punning, Keats readings, Claret and food and song!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Ennis wrote:
Raphael wrote:Even in the North of England I am too far away Ennis!

At least you're in the same country! It's at least "do-able" for you!!

Believe me it is not- I have been unemployed these past few weeks and due to start yet another temporary another part time job ( full time permananet jobs hard to come by) and the grand sum each week is £120 a week- it would cost me about £300 to go to Keats house, as I would have the train fare and overnight hotel stay- the ticket price itself isn't the problem- it is the travel and hotel. I live in the North West- is a long way from London

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Saturn wrote:Hey lets do it, if any of us wins the lottery we'll assemble the Keats forum posse and have a night of punning, Keats readings, Claret and food and song!

You can bet I would Saturn- must rememebr to get my lottery ticket this Wednesday.... :D
I would also take a tour of Germany and Vienna and see where the great Beethoven and brilliant Mozart wwre born. lived etc.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Cath wrote:
Saturn wrote:I was initially thinking of going, but I really cannot stand the controversy-loving tactics of the man organising it - Richard Marggraf Turley was the chap who, intent on achieving maximum "impact" for his employers, published that idiotic nonsense about JK having a foot fetish etc. etc.
http://www.john-keats.com/phpboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11774&p=31396&hilit=Aberystwyth#p31396

And John Barnard is the guest speaker - he who wrote that terrible ill-researched book damning Fanny Brawne.

I much prefer your idea, Saturn, of an evening of puns & claret & a snug fireside!

Foot fetish???? :shock: Poor John- he has some right idiots writing about him.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 am

Saturn wrote:Hey lets do it, if any of us wins the lottery we'll assemble the Keats forum posse and have a night of punning, Keats readings, Claret and food and song!

I fully agree with this Saturn! If I ever come into money I will assemble a gathering at Keats House - all expenses paid. Just love the idea.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Count me in (hopefully), Saturn!! We'll have our own 21st century "Keats Circle"!
Ennis
Calidore

Next

Return to Keats around the world