Amazing c 18th writing boy

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Amazing c 18th writing boy

Postby Raphael » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 pm

It is assumed that us techo age people are superior....but look at this built in the late c 18th:

ASTONISHING!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUa7oBsSDk8

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/1...iter-automata/

The whole BBC programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ckwork_Dreams/
Last edited by Raphael on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Amazing c 18th writing boy

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm

I saw that programme when it first aired, was fascinating what those clockmakers of the 17-18th centuries could achieve. I don't think anyone claims we're superior today, its a just a different technology today, humanity is no smarter today than it was then, our brains are no bigger or more advanced, but our creativity knows no bounds in whatever medium.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 pm

I think it's a case of a radically changed culture; these days the best brains go into technology whereas in the past it was the arts. What are the chances of another Shakespeare being produced in today's society?? Zero I would say...
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Well the conditions of society and the arts are completely different today, there will never be another playwright of Shakespeare's kind because the conditions which existed to create an artist of his particular genius no longer exist, he was a product of his time and place. In the same way there will never be another Homer, Sophocles or a Mozart or Beethoven because the very particular circumstances in which their talent was able to thrive will never recour in the same way. The arts, society and politics change and always will. I have no doubt there are geniuses, great artists and writers today equally as gifted as the great names of the past but just in different fields, no lesser talents that only posterity can judge from a distance. We must honour and celebrate the past of course but there will always be talented and great artists, human genius will always shine through, there are just so many outlets today for artists to display their talents.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:09 am

Link doesn't open for me.
:(
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cath » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:Link doesn't open for me. :(

The documentary is available on YouTube now (it's been removed from BBC iplayer, which unfortunately we can't view outside the UK anyway):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OAA7yn_Km8
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks Cath! I appreciate your sleuthing skills.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Miscellaneous