The house time forgot

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The house time forgot

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Oh how sad...look at the organ and piano- beautiful, dusty and silent...:-[

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... sage-field
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: The house time forgot

Postby Saturn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Fascinating!

And a disgrace, how could the former home of one of the greatest poets in the English language be left to moulder into dust like this, where the hell are the National Trust? :evil:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Saturn wrote:Fascinating!

And a disgrace, how could the former home of one of the greatest poets in the English language be left to moulder into dust like this, where the hell are the National Trust? :evil:

I know! I would love to see the Trust or English Heritage restore it. Too many old houses are left to crumble.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Haunting, fascinating; I would love to ramble through those books!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Phooey. The link wouldn't work for me. Are there any other links about this house?
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:57 am

Thanks, Saturn. Your link worked.
The photos are beautiful. The rooms are hauntingly desolate, kind of Havisham-like.
This reminds of a house near where I live. It was built in the early 19th century by the first (or one of the first) non-indigenous family in town. It had very graceful lines, elegant fan shaped windows on the end-gables, and sat very near the main water supply reservoir for a nearby large city. Over the years, ownership changed many times and ultimately the title to the land was so muddled that no one could figure out who exactly owned it. It had been broken into countless times and vandalized. To top it off, it was widely believed to be haunted. It was in terrible shape and the cost to rehab it would have been outrageous. Finally, and reluctantly, the county and city governments tore it down.

Even closer to our house, there was a building once owned by the Abolitionist, John Brown, and used as a leather tannery. Again, the building was in horrible shape. The owner was willing to sell it to the city and/or the local historical society. (The historical society was in its infancy and had ridiculously limited resources.) After an unbelievable amount of hemming and hawing on the part of the city and the historical society, the owner pulled the building down. The space where the building once stood is now part of a modest city park.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's impossible to save every old building. We may be sentimental about them, but nothing is permanent. Everything changes.
(Speaking of John Brown and by way of an example, his family's homestead still stands, but has been remodeled so many times that the Brown family would never recognize it. The church where he stood up and said he was dedicating his life to the abolition of slavery is now a Yoga center. (The Yoga folks take very good care of the building and have wonderful programs there.) A few blocks from my house, the church where Brown had the impudence to take some black people to worship and was shown the door as a result? Well that's now the home of an engineering firm that designs dry-cleaning equipment.

Yup. Everything changes. Nothing lasts forever, everything is ephemeral when you get down to it. We preserve what we can and deem valuable. The other things, we just have to let go.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:23 am

I guess, even in my own city they demolished the house where Seamus Heaney lived for many years which wasn't a mansion or great piece of architecture like this place, we can't save them all I know! but surely the name of Milton should be revered enough to help save this fascinating time capsule.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Yup. Everything changes. Nothing lasts forever, everything is ephemeral when you get down to it. We preserve what we can and deem valuable. The other things, we just have to let go.

The pyramid of Caius Cestius has already stood for over two thousand years, maybe it will last 'forever' :wink:
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:39 pm

And Stonehenge!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous