10 years...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

10 years...

Postby Saturn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:11 am

So it's been ten years to the day since I joined this forum.

A lot has happened in my life in those ten years, not as much as I hoped or dreamed of then but my life is different, the internet is different, this forum is different.

So I thought I'd be a little curious and ask what has happened in your life in the last ten years?
You can be as brief or as lengthy as you wish.

Think of Keats, what an incredible life he lead in the years 1811-1821 and the sadness in thinking what more he could have experienced and achieved if he had only had another ten years.

Go...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: 10 years...

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Well one thing that has changed is the platform for discussion on the internet. Ten years ago forums [yes even this one at times] was a hotbed of debate, discussion, passion, anger, heated words and barbed exchanges for good or ill.

Now it's social media that captures people's imaginations, their hearts and their 140 characters.

I've often thought of setting up a Facebook page [I don't use twitter] for this forum and inviting everyone to join and take part, but part of me just appreciates this kind of forum as more select and more focused, more respectful and measured table for discussion.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:26 pm

As a relative newbie I've noticed how much more active the forum seemed to be in the past; what's the problem I wonder... is it just the site got overtaken by spammers and people got tired and just left, or maybe in a life of 25 years there's a feeling that everything has been said that can be said... anyway it's been of interest to read the debates from years ago by posters who seem to have now disappeared into the ether...!
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Raphael » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:32 am

I'm still here! Just been busy with courses, job searching and other things lately. I don't like social media, much prefer forums!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:30 am

Yeah, much as I wish the forum were more active (and even at it's most active it couldn't compete with the traffic on social networks today) sadly things are dwindling here, and there are times that I am tempted to just leave the place to fall down around itself and see if anyone notices or even cares :(
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:45 am

Saturn wrote:Yeah, much as I wish the forum were more active (and even at it's most active it couldn't compete with the traffic on social networks today) sadly things are dwindling here, and there are times that I am tempted to just leave the place to fall down around itself and see if anyone notices or even cares :(

Don't do that Saturn...people will still come on.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:19 pm

No I won't I've invested too much in it and I would hate to disappoint good loyal, interested people like yourself but it is dispiriting to see weeks sometimes go by with no posts.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:42 pm

Saturn wrote:No I won't I've invested too much in it and I would hate to disappoint good loyal, interested people like yourself but it is dispiriting to see weeks sometimes go by with no posts.

Well, there aren't always topics to post about, but other times there will be. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 pm

You could always create a sister google+ groups for this forum- google+ is doing well these days. I am on a classical music one which was set up by ex Beethoven sonata coursemates. It is posted on daily!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:20 pm

I don't use google+ I can't see the point if joining another 'social' network when I'm not very sociable on the one I am on lol!

But you should create your own Raphael! I don't have the monopoly on Keats-related projects!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Saturn wrote:I don't use google+ I can't see the point if joining another 'social' network when I'm not very sociable on the one I am on lol!

But you should create your own Raphael! I don't have the monopoly on Keats-related projects!

Well just a thought- I am happy with this forum anyway!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:43 am

My life has gotten way too busy with work which absorbs often 70 hrs /week or more. But I am glad to have this forum around. I don't have anything to post these days. Dealing with family crises is never simple and takes a long time to recover.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 am

Sorry to hear that BL.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Can I second that. Well as long as I'm still around and this forum still exists it will always be here for you, or any of you other guys to come back to and contribute to, or even just read.

Take care.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:27 pm

There will always be posts when new stuff comes up Saturn. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Miscellaneous