Dr Clark's house in Rome

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Dr Clark's house in Rome

Postby Cath » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum and have a question about Dr Clark's house in Rome. I'm visiting the city (relatively) soon and am trying to find out the exact address at which Keats's doctor, James Clark, lived and whether the house is still standing? All I remember is that it is across the square from Piazza di Spagna 26. Does anyone happen to know anything more?
Cath
Calidore

Re: Dr Clark's house in Rome

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Welcome Cath to the Forum. I can't find anything more specific on the home of Dr. James Clark than that he lived "across the Steps" where John resided at 26 Piazza di Spagna. This is from the author John Evangelist Walsh in his book Darkling I Listen. I'm sure the people at the Keats Shelley Museum might know more.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cath » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks for replying BrokenLyre and your suggestion!

I got in touch with the Keats-Shelley House today, but unfortunately all they knew was that Dr Clark's rooms were located in the Piazza di Spagna - none of the books at the Memorial House specified where exactly...

Oh well!
Cath
Calidore

Postby CasaMagni » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:38 pm

James Clark (Dec 1788 - Jun 29 1870) obit in the London Standard. Even 50 years later his association with Keats doesn't merit a mention.

From the British Newspaper Archive

St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Return to Life and Letters