A Poem on Night

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A Poem on Night

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 pm

I love the night sky - the stars, the planets, the galaxies, the nebulae. I have owned a telescope for many years.
And recently, my 10 year old daughter had to write a poem for her class assignment. All the kids had to do this. I asked her if I could post her poem here to encourage her to keep writing poems. She was a bit hesitant but said OK. She wrote the poem herself.

City Lights

City lights,
Washing the color,
From the spreaded canvas blue
Threaded into the night,
The stars so gently fading

When the torches burned out,
There was light in the sky no more
The moon had lost her children,
Banished from their chore

City lights,
Burning out the stars’ lives,
Cloaking the sky forever,
Stealing the meaning of night.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: A Poem on Night

Postby Ravenwing » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:02 pm

This is a lovely poem by your daughter, and a wonderful first poem, too. Its melancholic tone reminds me, somewhat, of “Il pleure dans mon coeur . . .” by Paul Verlaine, who lived during the 19th century. The following link leads to a page which features an English language translation, by Norman R. Shapiro, titled “Like city's rain, my heart . . .”: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/853446.html
Ravenwing

Re: A Poem on Night

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks Ravenwing. I have never read Verlaine's poems until now. I do see your point. My daughter could use some encouragement. Thanks for responding.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’