Fanny Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Fanny Keats

Postby paradinas » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 am

In another passage in Adami's book, Fanny and Valentin are entering Spain (mid 1830s?) and Spanish customs confiscate a lot of their belongings including their family bible (owned by John and given to Fanny after his death). She folds up some letters and the flyleaf from the bible in her purse, and keeps them from the customs officers.

Well, here's that flyleaf. The bible was obviously originally owned by John's mother Fanny Jennings and her mother Alice Howarth Jennings (né Whalley) who brought the Keats children up in Walthamstow after their mother's death. There's also a letter from Keats biographer Robert Gittings to my father in the 60s confirming several details and that the flyleaf matches the paper of Southwell's Family Bible of 1773.

Last edited by paradinas on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
paradinas

Postby Saturn » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 am

Fascinating stuff, you are very welcome, and thank you for sharing - I have to say I’m not aware of this book or much aware of Fanny’s afterlife apart from as an afterword in most Keats biographies. May have to seek it out in future.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Amazing! Keats House Hampstead, or in Rome, would surely be interested in that relic. Here is a page from an early Keats-Shelley Journal detailing the Spanish descendants:

St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby paradinas » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:58 am

I used to go to Avila with my father when I was a child. As mentioned above it's a beautiful walled city nestled among the mountains of central Spain.

Of my grandfather Dr. Ernesto Paradinas's children, only three survive, José Guillermo (who I think is William on this forum), Antonio and Javier (my uncles), all living in Spain. There are eleven grandchildren of Ernesto and Ernestina (crazy - same name, we just called them Abuelo & Abuela), and I think about nine great grandchildren..

My father Fernando moved to UK in late fifties to practice medicine (much like his great great uncle), and ended up as professor of Histopathology at Charing Cross Hospital in London. He died two years ago in London. He had two children, and six grandchildren, all brought up as English, although my brother speaks Spanish, and all aware of our relation to Keats.

Keats House are aware of the flyleaf.
paradinas

Postby CasaMagni » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:34 pm

How appropriate that the medical connection persisted through the generations. Fernando Paradinas is described here as one of the foremost pathologists in the UK -

https://books.google.ie/books?id=aQIcDg ... 22&f=false

Yesterday marked the 130th anniversary of the death of your great-great-great grandmother:

The article mentions the likeness of her daughter to the portraits of the poet; this must be Rosa, whose similarity is really striking in your image posted above, especially around the upper face -

St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby CasaMagni » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:18 am

CasaMagni

Postby paradinas » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:07 am

Thank you for the link and pictures. Yes, the unmarried daughter was Rosa. Also good to see my parents wedding. My mother destroyed all the existing photos after they divorced. My dad looks goofy. The Keats descendents in the photo are: 3rd from left Ernesto Paradinas (d. 1986), 4th from left Fernando Paradinas (d. 2017) and 2nd from right Sonsoles Paradinas (usually known as Solines) (d. 1996).
paradinas

Postby CasaMagni » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:47 pm

With a name like 'Elizabeth Mary Roche', may I ask if she had any Irish connections?
CasaMagni

Postby paradinas » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:13 am

No Irish ancestry. Mainly French (Roche de la Baume), Jewish and English.
paradinas

Postby paradinas » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:05 pm

This photo from 1880s is either Rosa or Isabel Llanos Keats (John's nieces), either way I definitely see a resemblance to Keats:

paradinas

Postby Saturn » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Yes, amazing family resemblance. Thank you for sharing.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Uncanny resemblance indeed, thanks again.
CasaMagni

Postby paradinas » Sat May 02, 2020 5:30 pm

paradinas

Postby CasaMagni » Tue May 05, 2020 11:54 am

"Photographed from my father's last picture painted when he was more than 80" - W Severn

It's almost as if J Severn was imagining what Keats might have looked like aged 35 or 40 here.
CasaMagni

Previous

Return to Life and Letters