It's National Poetry Month! Are You Poets Prepared?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

It's National Poetry Month! Are You Poets Prepared?

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:31 pm

I learned on NPR today that it is National Poetry Month here in the U.S.A. This got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing). There are several poets here on the forum. How about anyone who is interested write a poem (or more than one, if you're so inclined) on the theme of Keats. Anything goes--any form, any Keats-related theme. It doesn't have to be biographical in nature--but should reflect him in some way (through theme, philosophy, etc.).

What do you think of that? Since I brought up the idea, I will definitely contribute, so it goes without saying that you *don't* have to be a great writer of poetry to contribute! :) This exercise is simply to celebrate national poetry month and give us a reason to endulge in the wonder and beauty of poetry--both reading and writing it.

If you're interested, please post your poem(s) in this thread before the end of the month :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: It's National Poetry Month! Are You Poets Prepared?

Postby dks » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Malia wrote:If you're interested, please post your poem(s) in this thread before the end of the month :)

I just posted one about him and his influence on me in the "poet" section today...and I've got divers more...shall we just post what we'd like to contribute?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Saturn! Entreat your Muse!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Yes, that would be great. This thread *probably* should be in the Poetry section, come to think of it. But if you could post the Keats-related poems that you'd like to contribute for National Poetry Month, please post it here so we have them all in one place. (Saturn, if you'd rather it be done a different way, you are the moderator--so you get the final say :))
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:12 pm

I'm game. . . can't say I'll write anything good, though :roll: :P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:I'm game. . . can't say I'll write anything good, though :roll: :P

That makes two of us, Credo! But I don't care if I'm a good or a bad poet (it isn't my life's goal to go down in the annals of Literature :lol:). I'm glad you're joining in! Yea!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Fortuna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:52 am

Oh me too! I'd love to give it a go. I can worry about dying of embarrassment later!
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Malia » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 am

Fortuna wrote:Oh me too! I'd love to give it a go.

Wonderful! I'm so glad you are willing to contribute :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Fortuna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:10 am

Malia wrote:Wonderful! I'm so glad you are willing to contribute :)

The willingness is always there... the ableness is scarcer :oops:
Fortuna

Postby dks » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:07 am

Malia, Credo, Fortuna--three of the most intelligent ladies I know--I can't wait to read your poems!

You three are officially the first women I've gotten to (somewhat) know who share my love of Keats...I didn't even have friends in undergrad who understood and shared my passion for him--they would always laugh and say things like, "Oh, Denise. You and your Keats...you would be in love with a dead English poet!"

Words can't describe how nice it is to be among kindred souls... :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:18 am

dks wrote:I didn't even have friends in undergrad who understood and shared my passion for him--they would always laugh and say things like, "Oh, Denise. You and your Keats...you would be in love with a dead English poet!"

Words can't describe how nice it is to be among kindred souls... :wink:

I generally got (and still get) blank stares when I mention Keats :lol: You are right, Denise--it *is* wonderful to be able to share this passion with such great folks as you all are!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 am

Yes! This forum is important to me... :oops:
dks
Dante

Postby Fortuna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:53 am

This forum is certainly a warm source of inspiration for me :). Thank you Denise, I am so flattered to be included among the remarkable ladies you mentioned, and yourself. I too, know very few people outside of this forum who shares my passion for Keats and poetry.

I am studying business at university so the general consensus around me is, "Poetry...? But what has that got to do with networking? :|" I can't live without my endless philosophical discourses and this forum has never ceased to challenge me.

I started a basic skeletal idea for what I am going to do for this little project. I am kind of playing up my strengths and going for a visual poetry approach. :wink:
Fortuna

Postby Malia » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:56 am

Fortuna wrote:I started a basic skeletal idea for what I am going to do for this little project. I am kind of playing up my strengths and going for a visual poetry approach. :wink:

That sounds intriguing, Fortuna. I'm looking forward to seeing/reading it :) Hmm. . . now I guess I've got to start thinking about what in heck I'm going to write! EEEK! :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:41 am

Fortuna wrote:I am studying business at university so the general consensus around me is, "Poetry...? But what has that got to do with networking? :|" I can't live without my endless philosophical discourses and this forum has never ceased to challenge me.

Sounds like living in my family :roll: Well, aside from the networking thing :P More like "Art in general. . . ? But what has that got to do with anything?"

But this is one of the great advantages of the internet: you can meet people from all over the world--people you'd probably never have met otherwise--who share your interests, no matter how obscure. :wink:

I'm starting to brainstorm about my poem as well :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Next

Return to Miscellaneous