Great Irish Music

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Great Irish Music

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Hey again,
Just wondering if anyone out there has heard of Tina Morrissey? A friend of mine went to Ireland a few years ago and bought a CD of hers from out of the back of her truck and made a copy for me--and I LOVE it. She's great! I'd like to get more of her work, but I can't even find her name on the internet. I heard that she and her family sang throughout Ireland--and she plays the Irish harp. Anyone know where I can pick up more of her music?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for other great Irish/Celtic music? I want to add to my library :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:36 pm

I've heard of Morrissey--but not Tina. :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Oh my goodness, Malia. . .

Celtic music is my baby.

What kind of stuff are you wanting? Rowdy pub music, ambient "Celtic Moods"-esque stuff, Celtic rock. . . ?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Oh my goodness, Malia. . .

Celtic music is my baby.

What kind of stuff are you wanting? Rowdy pub music, ambient "Celtic Moods"-esque stuff, Celtic rock. . . ?

I'd like to start with traditional tunes--ballads, stuff like that. I like the sad, haunting tunes the most. Although my favorite Irish song right now is "Homes of Donigal" (ooh, I'm sure I butchered the name. Sorry all you Irish out there!)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:21 pm

Malia wrote:I'd like to start with traditional tunes--ballads, stuff like that. I like the sad, haunting tunes the most. Although my favorite Irish song right now is "Homes of Donigal" (ooh, I'm sure I butchered the name. Sorry all you Irish out there!)

I'll make a little list and get back to you :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:23 pm

Awesome :)
Thanks for your expertise, Credo.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:03 am

The Pogues of Fairytale In New York fame of course are essential, not particualrly celtic, not particularly Irish but a great folk and.

Christy Moore is Ireland's most legendary singer-songwriter - he's like Ireland's Dylan and has been around just as long and had a profound influence on generations of Irish musicians :D

If you are looking for more modern Irish music check out an excellent singer - songwriter called David Kitt.

If you're looking for a bit of a hard-rock/celtic music crossover the legendary 70s band Horslips are the best of the bunch
Not sure if that's what you wanted Malia but it gives me a chance to showcase some of my talented countrymen.

One of the things that makes me proudest about being Irish is our love of great music
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:51 pm

Saturn wrote:The Pogues of Fairytale In New York fame of course are essential, not particualrly celtic, not particularly Irish but a great folk and.

Christy Moore is Ireland's most legendary singer-songwriter - he's like Ireland's Dylan and has been around just as long and had a profound influence on generations of Irish musicians :D

If you are looking for more modern Irish music check out an excellent singer - songwriter called David Kitt.

If you're looking for a bit of a hard-rock/celtic music crossover the legendary 70s band Horslips are the best of the bunch
Not sure if that's what you wanted Malia but it gives me a chance to showcase some of my talented countrymen.

One of the things that makes me proudest about being Irish is our love of great music

I think I shall have to hop over to Ireland while I'm in Europe this coming January...I would LOVE to see/experience it...I can only imagine...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:44 pm

You can only imagine the amount of rain in the summer :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:17 pm

Saturn wrote:You can only imagine the amount of rain in the summer :?

Lots of it? We, here in Houston, get tons all year 'round. But that's maybe why Ireland is so lush and green? People have told me how beautiful it is...
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:39 pm

OK, here are my recs for traditional, ballad-esque songs. Most of these you can get off iTunes in some form or another. I have my favored versions, but you can sort of shop around for your own :)

"Lagan Love" (sometimes preceeded by "My"): Possibly the epitome of haunting Celtic tunes, at least in my opinion. It's one of those that's great with accompaniment, but even better as a solo voice, because the melody is so rich and evocative. There's a lovely guitar and voice version from Al Petteway and Amy White. William Coulter also has a nice solo guitar version.

"Wild Mountain Thyme": Sometimes up tempo, but best when down tempo. My favorite version is by Kathleen Keane. You can't find it on iTunes, but ifyou want to splurge and get her album (only online, as far as I know), she's a really incredible musician: fiddler, vocalist, most insanely fabulous whistle player I've ever heard.

"Sea Image": from the Chieftains. Gorgeous.

"The Wounded Hussar": Another great solo. My favorite is from Lunasa, one of my favorite Irish groups. Very original sound.

"Black is the Color": A classic. TONS of choices here, but for this one, I have to go with my favorite band on the face of the planet, Gaelic Storm.

Actually, lucky for you, they've got a lot of their music online at their website: http://gaelicstorm.com/?inc=albums&sm_ord=3482 "Black is the Color" isn't available for listening, but you should check out "An Cailin Deas Rua" for a really beautiful song sung in Gaelic :D Heck, listen to all of it! I've not met many people, regardless of musical taste, that didn't like Gaelic Storm :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:38 am

My Dad's the real expert in Irish traditional music - I was brought up on The Chieftans, The Dubliners, Planxty and all those traditional types so naturally as a tennager I rebelled from all that and listened to rock n' roll and thrash metal :lol:

Then I went through my Classical phase, now I'm listening to all kinds of everything and can appreciate some of the traditional Irish stuff now.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:32 pm

Saturn wrote:My Dad's the real expert in Irish traditional music - I was brought up on The Chieftans, The Dubliners, Planxty and all those traditional types so naturally as a tennager I rebelled from all that and listened to rock n' roll and thrash metal :lol:

Then I went through my Classical phase, now I'm listening to all kinds of everything and can appreciate some of the traditional Irish stuff now.

Wow. You guys are so wordly in your music tastes...I feel so boorish and localized--I'm over here listening to Ray Charles at full volume...he's the man...
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:34 pm

I think soul music is the one type of music I haven't really listened to - my knowledge only goes as far as the Blues Brothers :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:16 pm

Nothing wrong with Ray Charles! 8)

Are you familiar with Lunasa at all, Saturn? Unlike my beloved Gaelic Storm (which has a very eclectic mix of members, only one of whom is actually Irish), they're actually based in Ireland, and I get very jealous because they hardly ever come over to the States (especially my neck of the woods) to perform.

Speaking of music in Ireland, I finally sent in my application for the MA in Ethnomusicology program at the University of Limerick today! My chances of actually getting in are slim to none (they've got tons of applicants, only take about ten, and try to have an even distribution from around the world), but I can always dream!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Next

Return to Miscellaneous