Great Irish Music

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby dks » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:30 pm

Saturn wrote:I think soul music is the one type of music I haven't really listened to - my knowledge only goes as far as the Blues Brothers :?

Download Ray Charles's "I've Got a Woman" and/or "Unchain My Heart"--it'll infiltrate your very soul...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:31 pm

Amen! :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:32 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Nothing wrong with Ray Charles! 8)

Speaking of music in Ireland, I finally sent in my application for the MA in Ethnomusicology program at the University of Limerick today! My chances of actually getting in are slim to none (they've got tons of applicants, only take about ten, and try to have an even distribution from around the world), but I can always dream!

Nothing at all--he is the man...

Credo, good luck!! :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:50 pm

Good luck Credo - I was actually going to take an Ethnomusicology degree instead of Ancient History way back in my student days :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:10 pm

I know it's not Irish, but anyone like alt. rock?

Check out Jellyfish--"Spilt Milk"--all the tracks are stellar.
Been listening to them since college days...their debut album is great, too--they broke up after two albums...but each went solo, I think...great California alt. beatle-esque rock band.
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:23 pm

dks wrote:I know it's not Irish, but anyone like alt. rock?

I like most types of rock but don't put it into these banal categories.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:26 pm

[quote="Saturn]
I like most types of rock but don't put it into these banal categories.[/quote]

alt. rock, pop, hard rock, hard pop...whatever. I was just trying to say that it's really good. :P
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:33 pm

That's fine - I just get annoyed by all these genres and sub-genres that are so neat and tidy for lazy journalists to use.

Music journalists :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Saturn wrote:That's fine - I just get annoyed by all these genres and sub-genres that are so neat and tidy for lazy journalists to use.

Music journalists :roll:

I agree. I really don't know what category one would put Jellyfish into anyway... :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Fortuna » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:39 am

Hahaha well on a note about sub-sub-sub pigeon holes for music, I really like Japanese music and a little while back I tired getting a friend of mine into it and he was throwing all these labels at me like how it was kind of gothic/nu-metal but he listens to alt rock and death metal... and in Japan they are just "rock" so my head spun with what he was talking about.

Hmmm Celtic-inspired music-wise, I quite like Loreena McKennitt but I think she is more mainstream so if you've heard of all those aforementioned artists, she's probably old news.
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:53 am

Ha ha, try being a music major: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist, Expressionist, Neoclassical, Neoromantic, minimalist, atonal, swing, be-bop, cool, free jazz, etc. etc. etc. . . My music history prof pounded genres (which, much to our amusement, she pronounced "joner") into our skulls until we couldn't see straight anymore.

Reminds me of an experimental piece I had on a student composition recital a couple of years ago. Some of my friends were trying to "figure it out" like good music history students (I used a semi-graphic notation that my prof helped me develop where each stave had only three lines as opposed to the normal five, and the note placement was designed to be relative to the individual singer rather than absolute like normal notation. . . but anyway. . .), and one of them decided on the genre "21st century Collegeism" for it. :P

Loreena McKennitt is my favorite artist who should have been on the Lord of the Rings soundtrack but wasn't. :P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:50 am

I love Loreena McKennett's "Lady of Shalott" and "The Highwayman". Her musical adaptations of poetry are great :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Falina » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:57 pm

Hhmmm... I know it's been a while (well, okay, a pretty long time :wink: ) since somebody added something to this thread... Nevertheless, I just have to mention Fiddler's Green here, one of my favourite bands :D ! The music they play is called Irish Independent Speed Folk or NU Folk. Ever heard of that*lol*? Probably not... Can anybody imagine what it sounds like :wink: ? I can't really describe it - but I just love it :D !

Here's a quote from their website (maybe it's helpful - but I'm not sure whether it really describes what makes this band sooo great :wink: ): "The recipe? Mix light-hearted Irish folk songs with hard rock guitars, groovy bass guitar rhythms and aggressive drum beats. Add the drive of violin sounds and the perkiness of an accordion and there you go."
We are like frost flowers, we blossom at night...
We are like frost flowers, too beautiful for the day...
(Subway to Sally)
Falina

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:11 pm

If you like a good traditional irish/rock crossover band the very best is a 70s band called Horslips - highly recommended 8)
Saturn
Forum Administrator

;)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:39 pm

O saturn,your the man,i am the biggest horslips fan their are epic,dearg doom trouble with a capital t.

"High on a mountain
stands a boat but are they gods or real folk

Cant see the fire but you can smell the smoke
Who will take the plough and be the yoke."

Ah their amazing and that music in trouble with a capital t WOW,celtic rock and rock at its best what songs do you like of them saturn ,and anyone out their you just need to hear them :D :D :D
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous