Keats Society

Events that are related to Keats, lectures, new publications. Also your Photos of Keats-related locations, events etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:40 pm

dks wrote:Think of it. You all can be telling your grandkids one day...*say in old person's voice*
"Sorry, sonny, Mi maw (or Pa paw) can't go to your fencing tournament this year--I've got my Keats Society convention in January!" And the whole room will :roll: roll their eyes saying, "Aw, you and your Keats Society--how long have you guys been meeting now? 20 years? What exactly do you guys do there?"

Hee hee hee. . . fencing tournament?! :lol:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:42 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Hee hee hee. . . fencing tournament?! :lol:

My boys fence...they love it--besides I couldn't think of anything else!! :lol: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Ha ha, ok. :D

That's a cool activity, it just seemed kind of random.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:14 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Ha ha, ok. :D

That's a cool activity, it just seemed kind of random.

:lol: Yeah. I thought it would.

Ok, guys. Here it is. I'll be in London every January 1-8th or 9th from now on--barring illness or family emergency.

I'll let everyone know where I'm staying and all that jazz and whomsoever wants to join me at Hampstead for a few days-- is welcome.

I'll toil away at my dream of a Keats Society...maybe I'll entreat the Keats/Shelley museum for some sort of sponsorship vis a vis donations? Or maybe I'll just sit at the hotel bar in London nipping wine (or vodka and cranberry) thinking about doing it.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:54 pm

It's such a great idea - okay the 2021 thing was a bit of a joke [I'd be 42!!!!!] but seriously I would love to be there in London to meet all you guys sometime in the future and have our own version of the 'immortal dinner'.:D

I suppose in theory it would be easier and cheaper for me than the rest of you to get there as live the closest but I've never been to London before, or even travelled on my own before really and wouldn't have the first idea what to do.

Like Keats himself on all practical matters I'm completely useless - with my head in the clouds all the time I try and avoid any kind of real responsiblities and practical matters relating to life in general. :oops:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Saturn wrote:It's such a great idea - okay the 2021 thing was a bit of a joke [I'd be 42!!!!!] but seriously I would love to be there in London to meet all you guys sometime in the future and have our own version of the 'immortal dinner'.:D

I suppose in theory it would be easier and cheaper for me than the rest of you to get there as live the closest but I've never been to London before, or even travelled on my own before really and wouldn't have the first idea what to do.

Like Keats himself on all practical matters I'm completely useless - with my head in the clouds all the time I try and avoid any kind of real responsiblities and practical matters relating to life in general. :oops:

Ahh. The Immortal Dinner--yes! But I won't play Wordsworth...

Well...like I said, I'll be there and anyone who wants to join me--is welcome. I had never traveled alone before January either, Saturn. It was exciting, but I was also a little nervous. But it was one of the best experiences of my life...without a doubt. :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Fortuna » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:29 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Yikes, Fortuna! That'd be an investment! It'd be worth it, though, to finally get to see London :D

Absolutely! I'm not really a big travelling person, I'm more into being surrounded by calm and tranquility and chanting monks, so if I were to venture out of the country, it should be somewhere well worth the trip. :)

I haven't travelled on my own before either but I think it'll be a lot of fun. Although one of my pet peeves is people who make small talk with people sitting next to them on planes so come flight to London, they'll be talking a looong time :? .
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:30 am

Jan 1-8th. . . does that mean we'll be flying on New Years Eve?

Suppose that's a pretty good time for cheap tickets, though!

Once you get over the anxiety of travelling alone, it's actually really fabulous. You can just sort of do whatever you want! Don't have to worry about dragging other people around, or being dragged yourself. And you only have yourself (or an outside party) to blame for any mishaps :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:36 am

Saturn wrote:I suppose in theory it would be easier and cheaper for me than the rest of you to get there as live the closest

We'll expect you to pay for dinner then, Saturn :wink: :P
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:03 am

Actually, Credo, New Year's Day--when tickets are dirt cheap and the airports are empty.

I really hope some of you decide to join me...else I'll be dining at Keats Grove by myself--oh and picnicking under the plum tree on the grounds at Wentworth Place alone, too...

Can't you see me? Nibbling cheese and drinking wine alone under that famous plum tree--the plum tree where the nightingale sang for Keats?? There I'll be wondering, "Hmmm. Wonder what Credo, Malia, Fortuna, Saturn, Despondence...are doing??"

*SIGH* :cry: :cry:
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:03 am

dks wrote:
Can't you see me? Nibbling cheese and drinking wine alone under that famous plum tree--the plum tree where the nightingale sang for Keats??

In the middle of January??? :lol: I remember England as being FREEEEZING cold in January--well, at least where I was living in Durham.

But all your talk about having a meet up there is extremely tempting. I have no idea where I'll be next January--i.e. if I'll be full swing into my graduate program (that's if I get accepted) or what so I can't promise anything--but oh, it would be so much fun! I'm certainly not scratching the idea off my list by any means.

It would be great to have a Claret and poetry feast in honor of Keats, don't you think? And the Immortal Dinner Revisited--paid for by Saturn, of course :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:43 am

Ahh, yes...Saturn?? He's probably sleeping right now, completely unaware that he'll be picking up the Immortal Dinner tab in January...

Yes, it'll be cold-but who cares? We'd be there!

Whatever grad program you choose, Malia, January 1-9 should be smack dab in the middle of Christmas/winter break... :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:59 am

Cold?! I laugh in the face of your "cold"! :lol:

Average temp in London in January is in the 40s, from what I'm seeing. Downright tropical from where I'll be coming from (where the average high hovers around 14 degrees in January). May as well leave my heavy coat at home! :lol:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:32 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Cold?! I laugh in the face of your "cold"! :lol:

Average temp in London in January is in the 40s, from what I'm seeing. Downright tropical from where I'll be coming from (where the average high hovers around 14 degrees in January). May as well leave my heavy coat at home! :lol:

:lol: :lol: Credo can tough it out!
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:32 pm

Yup. I'll be the one taking all the long walks on the Heath while all the rest of you are huddled under blankets with your tea :lol:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Keats around the world