The Wicker Man

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:01 am

Sucking up? Who said anything about that? :?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:31 am

Well, that would be me, in a statement about myself. Some part you didn't understand?

I am become disgusted of this place. After more than three years, I suddenly feel like a complete stranger in a strange land. I have nothing nice to say. I think I shall not post anything more. I can't fit into the current landscape, it is as alien to me as Venus beneath its veil of poisonous vapors.
Despondence

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:43 am

Awww, why's that, Despondence? Too much off-topic convo for you? You can always post about what you want to discuss, and we'll be more than up to the task.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:02 am

Despondence wrote:Well, that would be me, in a statement about myself. Some part you didn't understand?

I am become disgusted of this place. After more than three years, I suddenly feel like a complete stranger in a strange land. I have nothing nice to say. I think I shall not post anything more. I can't fit into the current landscape, it is as alien to me as Venus beneath its veil of poisonous vapors.

:cry:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:05 am

I'm very disappointed in you Despondence.

I can't do right for doing wrong in this place.]

A year ago it was a desert, now when we have built up a little community with amny fine and talented people and now one of the longest lasting members who has been here longer than I have wants to no longer contribute.

I'm really upset by that - I can't understand what went wrong - I suppose it's things I've said, my uncontrollable outbursts of emotion which makes people uneasy.

I feel like my Administratorship has now been a failure :cry:

Maybe I should resign now.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:33 pm

I mean, I can understand where Despondence is coming from. Yeah, it's one thing to be in the desert as you say Saturn, but it's another to flip things around entirely and talk about other things where someone new to the forum (or an old hat like Despondence) might get lost as to what we're actually discussing here. I've been thinking of that myself the past few days, and I'd personally really like to get back into some really good discussions about poems and letters and such. . . part of me is thinking of the new people who might show up here, see from our recent conversation that we've got a really tight little community set up here, and then feel too far on the outs already that they just don't even bother. People will come here first to talk about Keats, and later to get absorbed into the rest of it.

That, and I just like having a place and a reason to discuss Keats's work!

On the other hand, I am very sad, Despondence, that our getting to know each other better as people and not just fans of a common poet is such a detriment to you. I don't know if it's making us look frivolous or (heaven forbid) too cheerful most of the time, but think of it this way; you meet someone in a bar, you realize you're both interested in the same topic, and you discuss that for awhile. But does your conversation begin and end there? Why should it? You will always have that in common, it will always be your starting point, and you will always come back to it. Why should a place like this be any different?

Don't blame yourself, Saturn. Like you said, it could still be days and weeks between posting around here, and that hardly encourages a flourishing community. I've been in tight-knit forums before where our attempts at free conversation were shot down by the administration, and before long, we'd all dispersed and gone our own ways. :( We're lucky to have a place like this :)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:47 pm

I am so sorry that you're upset, Despondence. I think (and this is just my opinion) that, though message boards and forums are a *great* way to meet people from all over the world who share an interest, it can pose some communication difficulties--even with emoticons. You can't see a person's body language--a huge part of communication--on a message board. You can't always be sure of a person's tone of voice (was that message meant to be sarcastic or humorous or vengeful or what?) and so miscommunication is bound to happen.

I didn't know that you were upset, Despondence, until you wrote of a dissatisfaction with the site that appears to have been growing for some time. Yet you don't give specific examples of why you feel disillusioned. It's hard for me (and here I only speak for myself) to understand someone's problem without exactly knowing what that problem is. I would sincerely like to understand--and I say that in a respectful tone of voice as I've enjoyed your comments on the board, Despondence.

Though I know it isn't for everyone, I'm glad this site is on the net. It's great to have a place to talk about Keats and a lot of other things, too. The site is set up well so that there are areas for Keats and other areas for miscellaneous talk. Seems pretty balanced, to me.

Thanks for keeping it moderated, Saturn. You are doing a fine job :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Malia wrote:
Thanks for keeping it moderated, Saturn. You are doing a fine job :)

Perhaps I need to moderate myself somewhat - or someone in my condition really should not be given the job of having my own website :? .
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Fortuna » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:48 am

I'm really sorry to see you feel this way Despondence. Admittedly, when I read what you wrote, I felt quite ashamed of adding to any pointless ramble that had little to do with Keats. Your contributions have always been insightful and intelligent and that's where I want to be. I resolve to get my hands on some biographies of Keats and do some research before I post up anything meaningless and trivial. :)

I have been on forums where droves of moderators scoured the forum for any post that was off-topic and/or too personal and closed the thread within 10 minutes. I have also been on forums where hundreds of members ceremoniously pamper each other's egos. I have always been anxious to leave both... but I think this forum strikes a fairly good balance. Helped more by the fact that there is very little trolling or flame wars you see all too often on other forums.

I respect whatever decision you choose to make in the end, but whether you stay or leave, I believe your act as the devil's advocate helped the rest of us get on track and recognise ways in which we can improve our discussions.
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Fortuna » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:52 am

Saturn wrote:Perhaps I need to moderate myself somewhat - or someone in my condition really should not be given the job of having my own website :? .

Hmm I think an advantage of the forum is that you can always pause and think before you click the "Submit" button, unlike real life where you might accidentally blurt something out without thought. I don't believe you are doing a bad job Stephen, but I think the issue is something we can all work together on to make this place more fruitful for Keats discussions as well as social interaction, and does not rest solely on your 'administratorship'.
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby dks » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 am

Good Mary Mother of God! I'm thoroughly riled--and it takes quite a bit...

I can't believe what I'm reading...none of you should shoulder the burden of apologizing. It was me who offended--with an off handed, joking comment, by the way.

Off topic? Nothing we talk about here is off topic...nothing. Especially since just before Despondence's last post we were praising eachother's poetry...yes...poetry, guys. The very bread we so happen to joyously slather our digressions upon...I recall Keats's passage about the Vale of Soul Making?? Anyone? That a World of Pains helps create identity and character--that Intelligence and the Human Heart help to form our very souls--that "as various as the Lives of men are...a place where the heart must feel and suffer in a thousand, diverse ways!"

Where but on here can we feel comfortable and at ease enough at the end of any day to let down our guard and simply talk about varied life? Is that not the very essence of Romantic interplay? I daresay Keats himself would be fascinated by all the musings we post...on here we can assimilate ourselves with eachother while trying to make sense of the world in which we live--is that not what Keats did at every turn? In poetry and letters to friends/family??

Stephen, you're doing a masterful job at ministering to forum members' needs, as well as putting yourself out there for all of us to know and with which to identify.

I brag continuously to friends about this site, and will continue to do so...as our open, free spirited forum is exactly the place to be to talk about the greatest of all Romantic poets. Exactly.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Discovery » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:11 am

I know i'm not a very active member of this forum, so I feel as though saying something is cheeky, I hope not
For me, finding out about Keats will always be linked in my mind with reading posts by Despondence, Saturn, Credo Buffa and Malia, so I hope he doesn't leave forever. I noted your absence, as I always enjoy and learn from what you have to say.
Discovery

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 am

Nathaniel wrote:For me, finding out about Keats will always be linked in my mind with reading posts by Despondence, Saturn, Credo Buffa and Malia, so I hope he doesn't leave forever.

Wow, that's quite a flattering association, Nathaniel! :oops:

I hope he doesn't leave forever, either. I have a hard time believing that something so petty could turn him away so quickly.

Guess the best we can do is just get back to our discussion and hope he changes his mind.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Previous

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’