Pedilavium

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Pedilavium

Postby dks » Thu May 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Wrote this one last night.

Pedilavium

When I leave this world
For another place,
I’ll have to work
For my manna,
Scour my slate.

I’ll take the potter’s urn
And loomed twills,
Ribbed from the maiden
Pulp
Of fruit bolls—

Over to the perennial
Procession,
And bathe the feet
Of all who come.

This may fasten my place,
Bless my reservation,
But just in case—

I had better also plan
To rub the pillings
Off soles
With an alabaster
Pumice stone.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:49 pm

I can't believe I missed reading this one dks.

Belated congratulations. :shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:57 pm

:oops:

Thanks, Saturn. I'm now doubting I'll even get the foot washing job, though. :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Brave Archer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:21 pm

I read the poems you write; where do you find the words? what inspires you to write? I'm sure those questions have been ask'd to you before but I want to ask again. Nice poem.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby dks » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:07 pm

Brave Archer wrote:I read the poems you write; where do you find the words? what inspires you to write? I'm sure those questions have been ask'd to you before but I want to ask again. Nice poem.

I try to explain the process I encounter like this: I make a lucid attempt to recreate the picture exactly as it is in my head and put it into words on a page. I then try to use words that rouse the senses--because (and you will all now confirm how cuckoo Denise really is) every single word in the English language reminds me of a food. I can literally taste the words whenever I read something. So, when I write...it is a recipe of sorts...I try to recreate my mental images into a feast on the page...

:shock: :oops:

I'm so sorry I just admitted that.
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:19 pm

That's a very interesting take on the creative process Denise :shock:

I don't think you are mad at all. The culinary and the literary arts are no so dissimilar.

Just as some foods are simple and require a few baisc ingredients, there are other more gourmet dishes which require great preparation, delicacy and care. It is the same with poems.
:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:59 am

It's mainly a sensuous thing, I guess. Perhaps it began as a trifle, mnemonic device when I was a little girl? I dunno. *shrug*

Not a very intelligent, erudite, tweedy swank response to questions concerning my *ahem* *back straightening, eyebrows raised* poetic process, eh? :lol: :lol:
dks
Dante

Postby Brave Archer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:57 pm

I lik'd that answer, DKS, it made sense to me. It is as Saturn said a very interesting take.

What about you Saturn? your process as a writer.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Saturn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:20 pm

Brave Archer wrote:I lik'd that answer, DKS, it made sense to me. It is as Saturn said a very interesting take.

What about you Saturn? your process as a writer.

I don't have any 'process' as such and I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a writer at all :lol:

It sounds kind of corny but sometimes I just become inspired to write a little verse.
It might be something simple, like a leaf falling from a tree, someone's smile, a beautiful girl, a thought that occours to me, or something just completely at random.

Going back many years I used to 'write' poems in my head as I went to and from University [and more often scribbled them down during lectures :roll: ]. These I would work on at home on the computer.

These days it's somewhat more of a forced process unfortunately. I sometimes just have this overwhelming need to put a feeling, an experience or a thought into verse. It is an almost physical compunction to do so so that when I do start to write it is almost as if I am taking dictation.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’