Otho the great

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Otho the great

Postby Despondence » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:23 pm

What was the fate of the play "Otho the Great" by Brown and Keats? Did it ever play after JK's death? Is it played today? Is the manuscript published, or otherwise available? If applicable, what are peoples opinions about the piece?
Despondence

Otho the Great

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:55 pm

I got a manuscript of Otho the Great of the internet. Just type it into yahoo or google or something like that.

Keats wrote another play called King Stephen too. Both this play and Otho the Great canbe found inthe penguin edition of the complete works of John Keats.

As to your enquiry regarding Otho the Great- it is no masterpiece.It is very similar to the work of Shakespeare but in someways unlike Shakespeare in that the action is focused around the medievial era unlike the era of Ancient Greece etc.

I would have much rather Keats wrote a play set amongst the realms of Arcady and fantasy instead of the historical drama which he did write.
Matt

Otho the Great

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:55 pm

I got a manuscript of Otho the Great of the internet. Just type it into yahoo or google or something like that.

Keats wrote another play called King Stephen too. Both this play and Otho the Great canbe found inthe penguin edition of the complete works of John Keats.

As to your enquiry regarding Otho the Great- it is no masterpiece.It is very similar to the work of Shakespeare but in someways unlike Shakespeare in that the action is focused around the medievial era unlike the era of Ancient Greece etc.

I would have much rather Keats wrote a play set amongst the realms of Arcady and fantasy instead of the historical drama which he did write.
Matt

Re: Otho the Great

Postby Despondence » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:48 pm

Matt wrote:Keats wrote another play called King Stephen too. Both this play and Otho the Great canbe found inthe penguin edition of the complete works of John Keats.

Yes, I bought this one some time ago. While no connoisseur of plays, I found it to be a rather dull piece. Think I'll stick with the poetry, when it comes to Keats :)
Despondence

Otho

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Keats and Brown cowrote this play. Often Brown would write out a section is prose, then Keats would translate it into poetry. I think that is why it such an odd sort of play. Keats wants it to be filled with great energy and passion, but because the plot is so weak the play seems overly melodramatic to modern tastes. Keats was a big fan of Kean, the lead dramatic actor of his day. He pictured Kean playing the leading role. The play wasn't accepted, which frustrated and disappointed John, but he knew that the writing of plays is where he was headed, and had he lived, I believe he would have been an incredible playwright.

I also think there are some wonderful lines and characters in Otho. Just read the first act to get a glimpse of what Keats could do - he was on fire with poetry, but needed a better script to follow than what Brown could offer him. But Keats always stuck by his friends. There is some lovely poetry in Otho, but it is scattered. He definitely is able to write a play, but his time had not yet come - nor would it, unfortunately, ever come.

Rich
Rich

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays