Keats The Movie - the news we've all been waiting for....

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Fri May 26, 2006 10:23 am

Nathaniel wrote:This is amazing, I nearly spat my tea out over the my computer when I read this!
I would say Samuel West for Keats. He doesn't look like Keats, but I really admire him and think he'd do a great job. He is too old (but not 45!) but has a young-looking face, so this wouldn't be a problem.

No he's far, far, far too old and way too posh to be Keats

Too tall also :wink:

Excellent actor but not right for this

For the uninitiated here he is:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0922335/

Also he played Robert Southey in the movie Pandaemonium
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210217/

Great movie 8)

I'm the only one in the world that would like it probably though :?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Discovery » Fri May 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Oh, I love that movie too, especially the 'Frost at Midnight' moment. I hadn't thought about the class issue with West, it always comes back to that! However, I do think he is talented enough for this not to matter- or is it a case of we know he is too posh, therefore spoiling it for us?
I'm finding it really hard to think of people! Bryan Dick perhaps, funny name, but he was good in 'Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky'.
Discovery

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri May 26, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm tellin' ya. . . James McAvoy. . . !
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Fri May 26, 2006 2:34 pm

Alright, folks...this Sam West is too tall and the mouth too chiseled,
Bryan Dick--also the mouth too small and thin...

This James McAvoy--now he's promising...he's got the blue eyes and brown hair going and that passionate stare...but at 5'7--he's way too tall--hmmmm....he's young enough, though...

The actor needs to be a short, British, Scorpio who's stout and bit barrel chested (pugilist-looking) with a wide-ish mouth, reddish brown hair, grey eyes, an aqualine-ish nose and a rich, low-ish voice...I mean, hell, is that asking too much, people??

:lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Fri May 26, 2006 5:47 pm

I'd go for a complete unknown to play Keats--maybe someone just out of drama school :) He certainly wouldn't have to look exactly like the poet (as far as we know what he looked like). For me, the only essentials are that he be relatively short (and 5'7" is pretty short for today's men), be YOUNG--anyone older than 30 need not apply!--and have a bright, powerful energy about him, which I think a lot of actors have.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri May 26, 2006 7:59 pm

I agree, Malia.

Thus far, that James McAvoy gentleman seems to fit the bill--but an unknown would be good, too, for various reasons as you stated. :wink:

I wonder will we have to wait two years before this movie comes out?? :(
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri May 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Malia wrote:I'd go for a complete unknown to play Keats--maybe someone just out of drama school :) He certainly wouldn't have to look exactly like the poet (as far as we know what he looked like). For me, the only essentials are that he be relatively short (and 5'7" is pretty short for today's men), be YOUNG--anyone older than 30 need not apply!--and have a bright, powerful energy about him, which I think a lot of actors have.

I agree. I'm thinking this is what they'll probably do, particularly if it is a smaller picture that won't have the money or pull to reel in established actors. But they definitely have to stick to the "formula" that you've described, Malia. No old guys!!!

And as far as height ratios are concerned, it's unreasonable to be exact, just comparable. The average height of a man in Keats's day was about 5'4" (interestingly enough, this is about the average height of women today). Now it's what. . . 5'10" (which is even considered a bit on the short side still, if you're thinking of the standards set for movie actors)? So they should definitely be shooting for someone in the 5'5" to 5'7" range so that our film Keats will appear to have that similar discrepancy with the other male characters around him.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri May 26, 2006 10:47 pm

dks wrote:I wonder will we have to wait two years before this movie comes out?? :(

Most likely. If it's still being written, it could be quite a while yet before they cast, let alone start filming. However, reading this article that Saturn posted, it does seem that they're pretty certain that it's going to happen, so I'm curious if there's actually been any work done as far as securing filming locations and things like that? Of course, it may still be too early for that, but how cool would it be if they actually did some filming at Wentworth Place?! At least outside, I should say. . . inside might be a bit too small for all that equipment, so they'd probably have to construct some sets.

Let's take a moment too and consider how great this could be for the Keats world in general, not just those of us who are already obsessive fans. Depending on the kind of release this gets, it could potentially do for Keats something like what Amadeus did for Mozart: more people reading Keats, more people visiting Keats sites, more people on this forum!!! I could be huge! It could be the end of the Protestant Cemetery's financial troubles. It could mean a sped-up restoration of the Keats House. . .

. . . . .

*flails with excitement*
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri May 26, 2006 11:24 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:
dks wrote:I wonder will we have to wait two years before this movie comes out?? :(

Most likely. If it's still being written, it could be quite a while yet before they cast, let alone start filming. However, reading this article that Saturn posted, it does seem that they're pretty certain that it's going to happen, so I'm curious if there's actually been any work done as far as securing filming locations and things like that? Of course, it may still be too early for that, but how cool would it be if they actually did some filming at Wentworth Place?! At least outside, I should say. . . inside might be a bit too small for all that equipment, so they'd probably have to construct some sets.

Let's take a moment too and consider how great this could be for the Keats world in general, not just those of us who are already obsessive fans. Depending on the kind of release this gets, it could potentially do for Keats something like what Amadeus did for Mozart: more people reading Keats, more people visiting Keats sites, more people on this forum!!! I could be huge! It could be the end of the Protestant Cemetery's financial troubles. It could mean a sped-up restoration of the Keats House. . .

. . . . .

*flails with excitement*

That's proabaly the most exciting part of this prospect - how often have movies had such a profound effect on the public attitude to writers and musicians?

Amadeus is a prime example there - not only an astonishing, hilarious, moving and entertaining movie, but one which featured the great man's music extensively and I'm sure made many people sit up, listen and go out and buy Mozart CDS.

More recently another example is the Walk The Line Phenomenon. How many millions of Johnny Cash albums have been sold since that movie came out??

And it's not juts older people who missed out on first time on Johnny's music - all people of all ages are exploring 'The Man In Black' - I was very surprsied to hear my sister, who is 17, and usually listens to disposable pop; listening to Johnny cash because she really enjoyed the movie.

Whatever happens with this movie it will be interesting. Jane Campion is well known for her feminist leanings [witness the movie Holy Smoke] so I doubt we will see a demure and passive Fanny or a watered-down Adonais-like Keats.

I also agree that it should preferrably be an unknown actor to play our hero. He need not neccessarily be as small as Keats actually was, just small enough compared to the rest of the cast that we can appreciate his sense of inferiority.

Dare I make a bold and controversial possible casting?

I just had a flash of inspiration....

Dominic Monaghan of Lord Of The Rings/Lost fame?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0597480/

I think he coud be a more real Keats.

I do not want to see some wine-sipping elegant and stuffy Keats like a BBC period - drama series. Keats was a very manly man on the one hand [living uop to the Regency idea of a 'gentleman'] and of course had his sensitive and delicate side also which he could also portray very well.

Feel free to cut me down here in flames there :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri May 26, 2006 11:46 pm

No! Saturn and Credo--your musings and opining are right on the money, far as I'm concerned...

Holy Mother Cabrini!! Yes...this film WILL start a ripple effect...people will buy Keats's poetry like nothing seen before...I mean he's already infiltrated pop songs (Natasha Beddingfield) and it'll definitely promote visits to the museums and whatnot...

Oh, give me a hanky, someone...the floodgates are about to open...the secret of the "solutions sweet" Keats has offered for so many years will be discovered by the *GASP* masses... :shock:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri May 26, 2006 11:53 pm

Then it won't be our little secret anymore :?

It's like when your favourite small-time band goes mainstream.

Aw well, the more the better :D
Last edited by Saturn on Sat May 27, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat May 27, 2006 12:26 am

Saturn wrote:Then it won't be our little secret anymore :?

It's like when your favourite small-time band goes mainstream.

Aw well, the more the better :D

Yes, there is a bubble bursting effect there, is it not?

People should have been attuned to him long before "the movie." :?
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Sat May 27, 2006 2:25 am

Weelll, I personally don't expect huge droves to the forum or even *that* many more people reading his poetry. I mean, is this a film that will actually be released to the masses or is it just going to be a very small independent flick that's shown at Cannes and then forgotten? Personally, I will pay whatever it takes and hunt down this movie on video or DVD when it comes out.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat May 27, 2006 9:49 am

It may be an independent movie, I'm not sure, but this is an acclaimed, nay oscar-nominated director and this film will not just go straight to dvd or anything.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Jov » Sun May 28, 2006 5:22 am

Credo Buffa wrote:

. . . . .

*flails with excitement*

Well, we don't have to be TOO worried about height - cameras nowadays can make just anyone look any size with just a bit of tweaking. I mean, John Rhys-Davies (who played Gimli in Lord of the Rings) was 6'1''!! And poor Orlando Bloom (Legolas) only 5'11''! I think James McAvoy could certainly do it. He has the looks, talent, all he has to do is put on a frilly shirt and become a poetic genius! I'm half in love :D with Samuel West though, he has the cutest smile (whenever he smiles ;) )

I'd hope that people would start reading more Keats - or Romantics in general (though I admit, I might get jealous that I'm not the ONLY one who has discovered him). So many young people nowadays just don't have the interest - a film could change all of that (that's how much power the media has over us :S ) Oh what am I saying...I CAN'T WAIT!
Jov

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR